17 | seventeen

"the number you are trying to reach is not available. at the tone, please record your message. when you are finished recording, you may hang up or press one for more options."

peter sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"hey, karen?" he asked his suit, pulling on the mask. "what did i do?"

"you went to mr. delmar's sandwich shop earlier, before you went around the city and gave directions to that nice elderly woman."

"no, no, i'm talking about lucy. how do i fix it?"

the woman's voice was curious. "who's lucy?"

again, peter sighed. "she's...a girl at school. well, i met her on a misdial. but we started talking, like every day. and then we met, and it was great. she's even prettier than liz—wait, what?" he clenched his hands into nervous fists. "i never thought i'd say those words."

"i believe you have a problem of expressing your feelings, peter."

"yeah, yeah, but liz is...liz. i'm so confused." he chuckled bitterly. "who thought that i'd be deciding between two girls?"

"i may only be artificial intelligence, but i think what you're afraid of is change. people change, peter, and you have to be ready for your own changes."

peter put his head in his hands, but his voice was hopeful when he said, "you know, karen, you're pretty smart."

if karen had a face, she would have been blushing at his comment. "well, mr. stark was very careful when he designed me."

[a/n: kind of a weird ending, but hey, we need some troubling chapters. pete's hitting some hard times, and in the next few chapters will be more connections to the plot of sm:h so woop!]