23 | twenty-three

[woooooooooop!!!]

the academic decathlon was over, and everyone had gotten home safely after the close call in the elevator of the washington monument. lucy found it rather interesting that the spiderman, a renowned hero of queens, happened to be in the area at the time of the accident. 

her thoughts were interrupted when her phone rang beside her, peter's name flashing across the screen. 

"this better be good, parker," she warned lightly, "i'm studying for ap psych."

"it's good, it's good," he assured her through the phone, his youthful voice filling her ears. "i owe you an explanation. i mean, i owe everyone an explanation. you, my aunt may, liz, mr. stark--"

"well, you'd better start now, with me. what the hell is going on?" she paused, and in frustration, she added, "i know you skipped out on the decathlon, pete. so if you're going to explain why you weren't there, maybe it's better to say it to liz first."

he didn't say anything for a few seconds. "yeah, you're probably right. but i've been holding out on you for a long time, lucy. it's time i tell you the truth."

"the truth? pete, it sounds like you're dying or something," she giggled, then stopped. "oh my god, you're not dying, are you?"

"no, no, i'm not." peter inhaled deeply before letting it go. "but it's equally important. and you're probably not going to believe me. but i'll feel better knowing you found out from me."

"okay..." she pressed.

"you know all those times i've missed school? or i've been out late at night? or when i...skipped the decathlon?"

"that's just a list of all the sucky things you've done, petey, and everyone knows about those." lucy rolled her eyes, not understanding the point. 

"well, i was...somewhere. doing...something." peter's voice was hushed. 

"yeah, obviously," lucy drawled. "the only question is what were you doing?"

peter grunted, and then he spoke again. "hang up the phone, and look out the window."

"peter, what are you--"

the line was dead. 

grumbling, lucy swung around on her desk chair and turned to face her window. confused, she shot a text to peter.

what am i looking at?

...you don't have a baby brother by chance, do you?

no...

woops. wrong window. be there in a sec

peter, what are you up to?

"hey!"

lucy jerked her head up at the voice, that familiar voice that hung with her throughout the days and nights. the voice of peter parker. 

perched on the iron balcony, clad in red and blue spandex paired with a mask, was...

"spiderman?" lucy was incredulous. "what is going on?"

"well, at least i got the right window now," that familiar voice said, coming through the mask. 

but that wasn't possible...

a red hand reached up and tugged at the bottom of the mask, pulling it off. the face that was revealed almost knocked lucy flat to the floor. 

"hey, luce," peter said, running a hand through his hair nervously. "it's me."

[whoaaaaa what did you think? if you liked it, give it a vote! it means so much to me!]