Prologue: Goodbye Family, Goodbye Life

|Third Person|

Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette looks with teary eyes out of the window of his seat on the airplane. He had never flown before, and now he was flying all the way across the ocean to America, the land of promise- at least that's how his grandmother described it when they spoke of his trip beforehand. Being a foreign exchange student had been an idea tossed around often for Lafayette. He just never really thought he'd go through with it. It's halfway through the school year already for God's sake. Nervous is an understatement.

Lafayette held back his tears though, this was good for him. He knew his grandparents were old, once they died there wasn't going to be much left for him in France. His grandmother always wanted to come to America anyway, this was just Lafayette's way of fulfilling her dreams- well, that's what he tells himself.

He opens up the letter he had received from Schuyler High School. His grandparents had sprung for a going-away gift for their grandson a couple weeks ago. A laptop. Though it was being delivered to Lafayette's new address in outskirts of New York. A little suburban neighborhood with lots of big houses and mini vans. Lafayette's exchange family were ecstatic about meeting him, something he attempted to reciprocate- though he was still rather anxious about moving so far away.

He tries not to think about his grandparents too much as the plane rumbles a little with turbulence. He's only ever known them, his parents both died before he had his first birthday. He holds his breath, waiting for the aircraft to steady itself before he looks back at his letter, making a mental note to write to his grandparents as soon as he gets settled in.

Dear Marquis de Lafayette,

As the superintendent of Schuyler High School, I am pleased to tell you that we eagerly await your arrival on Monday, February second. Your exchange family has sent all of their children to our pristine school, and are excited to have the opportunity to send you here as well.

We have also set up a tutoring program with one of our brightest senior students. He also looks forward to meeting with you and discussing your schooling.

Sincerely,
Superintendent George Washington
Principal Charles Lee
Vice Principal Samuel Seabury

Lafayette can understand most of the letter. He's been studying English for a few months back in France. A couple of the words get messy in his head, but for the most part he's got the hang of the grammar.

He sighs to himself, folding the letter neatly and picking out a photo from his pocket that he almost didn't bring. He's thankful that he did though. It depicts the scene of the typical American, white picket fence, sort of family. A mother and father smiling happily with their three children lined up before them.

The family told Lafayette that this picture was taken a couple years ago, and he recently learned that the parents had divorced. Also, that their oldest daughter no longer lives with them, and instead goes to college in South Carolina. Their son, John, is the same age as Lafayette. It was actually one of the reasons he felt comfortable coming to live with them. Both their daughters look just alike though, despite the fact that one is seven years younger than the other.

Regardless, they both have curly brown hair and tanned skin that's dotted with freckles over their noses. Martha is the older one's name. Lafayette can remember that from one of his prior conversations with the Anna, the mother. Eleanor is the younger one. She's around thirteen at the moment, three years younger than Lafayette and John.

The French boy is sort of excited about having siblings around the house, despite the fact he's not even remotely related to any of them. He was a sort of lonely child, no real friends or anyone to play with. Having a brother or sister has always been a dream of his. He tells himself that when he starts a family he'd have three or maybe even four children. He'd even adopt if his significant other was up for it.

To be honest, Lafayette wasn't too picky when it came to his future. He likes the idea of travel, and meeting the love of his life before picking one single place to live. He doesn't have a single gender picked out either, any would do for him.

Lafayette smiles a little, a genuine smile. Maybe he shouldn't be so nervous about this change of life after all. It's good for him to get out now and again. 

Welcome to the prologue, young ones. 

I recently have become a tad bit obsessed with Mullette, thanks to Tumblr of course. I hope y'all enjoy this little, fairly cliche, but hopefully fluffy fic. I wanted to write something lighter for once and this is what I came up with.  
<3