Prologue

For a long time, I was the only one who could tell the difference between the Harris twins. Other than their parents, of course. But even they could be fooled if the twins tried hard enough, making it possible for them to get away with things other siblings usually wouldn't. Like how Dane pretended to be his brother when Zayne was grounded in fifth grade but snuck out of the house to go swimming in the lake. Or how Zayne pretended to be Dane in sixth grade when a girl confessed her feelings to him and Dane was too afraid to reject her.

But it was easy for me. I could tell between them by the look in their eyes or just by their presence. Dane's presence was always calm and he could make anyone feel better instantly. Zayne, on the other hand, came in like a storm, never caring for the damage he left behind. I could tell the difference between them by the sound of their footsteps or the way they breathed.

I never mistook either of them and I never fell for their tricks. They could never play me the way they played everyone else and maybe that's the reason we became friends when I moved onto their lane when we were six years old.

When Zayne pushed me off my skates when I was seven, Dane carried me back home with my bleeding knee. When I reached my rebellion stage at age eleven, Zayne and I would gang up against Dane and he was nice enough to take it, never fighting back.

Then when we all joined high school, we found out just how popular the Harris twins were. The girls were all over them for their blonde hair and blue eyes and perfectly built bodies. Their broad shoulders, abs and ruggedly handsome faces didn't make things easier. I automatically became popular, too, just for being their best friend. Not many guys drooled over me like the girls did for them. Not with my natural ginger hair that my mother refused to let me dye and my green cat eyes. 

But as my curves came in, especially in the chest region which suddenly burst out of nowhere, I started getting more attention from the boys, which got me more attention from the girls – and not the nice kind. I had always been a quiet kid but I turned into the social butterfly at the click of a finger. I knew how to ignore the sexual comments from the boys but I hated the whispers and rumors that the girls spread about it. 

Zayne would tell me it was because they were jealous of me but Dane noticed how badly it was affecting me. I could see how he hated having to reject every girl who confessed her feelings to him so we made a deal. We pretended to be a couple so he could shield me from the looks I got from the boys and I could put a stop to the confessions he got from girls. But that couldn't prevent Dane from actually falling in love with me.

That was my storywith Dane but this isn't the beginning of our story. Will it be the end?