C h a p t e r E i g h t

•Anthony•

I said goodnight but there was no way that I was going to fall asleep sitting up like this. I mostly watched her sleep, I watched her chest rise and fall, her eyelids fluttered every once and awhile, and her lips, I would give anything to kiss them.

It's amazing how someone can be so beautiful yet so unaware. I spent alot of time trying to figure Spencer out because she seemed so simple. I knew there was more to her than that, there always was.

I yawned, I never really got much sleep so I stopped trying, but mabye since she's safe? Mabye I could try? I tried to make myself as comfortable as possible but tiredness took over my mind and eventually my body. I closed my restless eyes and felt myself drift to sleep.

Never thought I'd say that.

The sun was peaking through the little spaces inbetween the mini-blinds. I was awake, I'd almost forgot that I fell asleep in a hospital room.

A nurse was standing over Spencer, unraveling the bandages on her wrists and arms. After a few minutes she left, taking the glass of water from the table and opening the door.

Spencer was still sleeping, they must've gave her something to help her sleep. I looked at the digital clock next to her, 10:05 am. I never really woke up as early as 10, but then again if I sleep, I just pass out on the couch for a couple hours. I remember looking at the same clock last night and it read about 10:30pm. I slept for about 12 hours, damn. I can't remember the last time I slept through the whole night.

I looked at Spencer again, still sleeping. I pulled out my phone, no notifications. Why would there be, I don't have friends. I figured that mabye an hour or so after Spencer wakes up she'd want to go home. Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit! How could I be so stupid? Jeez! The apartment was probably a mess, dishes piling up in the sink, empty alcohol glasses scattered everywhere. Spencer didn't mind me drinking every once and a while, but I really blew it this time. The place was probably a mess.

I had to get to the apartment before she saw it. I got up and silently closed the door with a "click."

"If Spencer wakes up, tell her I'll be back soon!" I yelled across the lobby to no one in particular, someone must've heard. I pushed the silver elevator button at least three times before the lift actually came up. I got in, pressed "floor 1," and rode down.

I practically ran out the door to my car, that was parked a good block away from the hospital. I heard my heart beat as my feet hit the paved sidewalk. I ran by murals painted across once bare walls. I repeatedly pressed the unlock button on my car fob. I opened the door and alcohol invaded my nostrils.

"God that's ripe!" I cursed as I hoped in and turned over the ignition. I decided to just roll down the windows to let the stench air out. My apartment was about a 30 minute drive from the hospital, but I bet I could do it in at least 25. I looked out the window to the trees. We were living in a small town hidden by a big city. Almost everyone knew eachother, so it was easy to pick out an outsider. Spencer was that outsider a while back, she used to live in the big city before she ran.

When I finally got to my apartment building, I raced down the lobby to the elevators. I (once again) pressed the up button at least ten times before I heard the elevator door bing.

I stepped through the elevator doors and felt myself start to relax. I'd just realized how tensed up I was. I tried to losen up, roll my head in circles, crack my knuckles.

I let out a sigh of relief as I arrived to the fourth floor of the building. I ran to my door that was at the end of the hall, grabbing the keys from my jacket pocket. The door swung open as I held my breath and quickly opened as many windows as I could. I was running out of air as soon as I opened the second window, so I stuck my head out with a heavy sigh.

The smell of alcohol and cough syrup stayed in the apartment even after I opened most of the windows.

"Okay, where to start?" I said, followed by a sigh as I stood in the middle of the living room. I quickly ran to the kitchen and opened many white drawers before I found a trash bag. I ran into the living room and started throwing the empty cans and takeout boxes into the black bag.

Next I piled together all of my dirty laundry and shoved it into a basket next to my dresser. I lit a couple of candles, hoping to mask some of the smell. I straighten out some of the pillows, folded the blankets, ran the dishwasher even.

I took a step back to admire my work. This is good, pretty good. I started heading back, Spencer was probably awake by now. As I was pulling the keys out of my door, my phone buzzed with the hospitals number displayed across the screen.

"Hello?" I asked, figuring that they were calling to tell me that Spencer was awake.

"Anthony, you need to come down, now!" I heard Dr. Connor's voice shaking.

"I'll be right there." I said as I hung up and ran to the elevators.

A/N

Sorry for this long ass chapter. Please let me know if you're enjoying this book/if you're excited for it. I try to update every other day or so.

Thanks -Kels