five°

"i love the sea!" dahyun screamed as we stepped out of jackson's car. she laughed and threw her arms out. i smiled at the sight of her.

it had started to get dark, since it was almost six o'clock in the afternoon. as jackson was the only one with a driver license, he had reluctantly agreed with taking us all. joy came up behind me and linked my arm. i had noticed she liked to do that a lot. she pointed at a spot a few meters from where we were standing at looked at our oldest.

"what about over there?" she asked him and he nodded. i looked at her curiously.

"what are we doing?" i asked her and she smiled at me, squeezing my arm.

"we are lighting a bonfire! we did it the first day of last semester as well, it's soooo cozy!" she said and starting to drag me after the other, who had started walking towards the spot joy had pointed out.

dahyun started to pull the ribbons out of her hair, and as soon it was let out, she flicked it side to side.
a wave of rose scented perfume rinsed over me and that same electric shock feeling again filled my body. joy turned her head to me and gave me a questioning look. i shook my head quickly and turned away my blushing face. in the corner of my eye, i could see that she remained her gaze on me, then looked away whilst putting on one of her large smiles.

"oh come on jackson, having trouble again?" she laughed as she let go of my arm and ran over to jackson. he stood bent over a big pile of wood and old newspapers, trying to make a fire using two sticks of wood and a twine.

"yeah, this doesn't fucking work." he mumbled and rubbed together the twine and the sticks harder and more intense. i laughed inside of me.

"why did seulgi have to change school right now? for fucks sake." he dropped his tools and i carefully walked over to them. i cleared my throat.

"you're doing it wrong." i said and bent down to pick up the tools. he looked at me like a hurt puppy and nodded.

"do you know how to do this?" joy asked."is there anything you can't do?"
i chuckled a little and starting rubbing one of the sticks against a larger piece of wood instead.

"actually", i said strained. "i was a girl scout for five years when i was younger."

joy gasped and laughed at the same time. "i bet you read a lot too and have had straight a's since like sixth grade." she said jokingly and sat down. i felt my face getting red at the larger piece of wood started reeking.

"actually, yeah." i spoke slowly and jennie, who was sitting opposite to me, looked up with a pained expression.

"you're not going to drag us down to nerd level now, are you?" she groaned, looking at me. i didn't know what to say, so i continued making the wood reek even more.

"oh please." jackson scoffed besides me. "we are already below nerd level." he patted my back and gave me a smile. jennie shrugged and looked down at her phone screen again.

now, the fire had started burning on the wood and i quickly removed the thinner stick to toss it into the pile. ungjae poured on half a bottle of lighter fluid, and the fire flamed up and grew bigger. the heat warmed me nicely and i closed my eyes, smiling.

"do you see how cute she is?" joy whispered and pinched my cheeks from behind. my eyes flew open and a laugh escaped my body. dahyun almost bounced up from her seat beside ungjae and placed herself beside me instead.

"back off, she's mine." she threatened her best friend playfully before putting a arm around my shoulders. joy walked away with her hands up in the air like a victim, laughing sneakily.