six°

"so you like dahyun, huh?" was the first thing the person on the other line said as i put the phone to my ear. it was an unknown number.

"joy?" i laughed and laid down on the bed. it was late, about two o'clock in the morning and we had gotten home about an hour ago. of course i couldn't sleep. how was i ever able to sleep again after tonight?

"risu." she said seriously. "i know that you like her."
i blushed, even though i was the only one in my room and i knew that joy couldn't see me.

"yeah i like her, i mean, she's been really sweet to me and. but everyone likes her, i don't understand why you're asking me this." i said with a maybe a little too over exaggerated innocent voice. joy sighed on the other side.

"you know exactly what i mean." she said tiredly and i could her that she drummed her long red nails against a table or something. i nodded. then i remembered that she couldn't see me. that was exactly why i didn't like to talk on the phone with people.

"yes." i said quietly.

"i knew it!" she screamed loudly and now with a happier voice. "so you like her?"

"i mean", i spoke tentatively and played with the sleeves of my hoodie. "i have only known her for about twenty eight hours."

"but..?"

"but... there is something special about her." i sighed and smiled a little to myself. then i realized something.
"wait. i've only known you for one day, i don't need to be telling you this!"

honestly, i was surprised by how i spoke, as i was always trying to be careful and polite. but something about sooyoung made me feel like i could be myself.

"yes you do." she said simply and stopped drumming her nails. "you're in love with my best friend, so it's your duty to tell me."

"i'm not in love with her!" i said, feeling offended. "i just said that she's a special friend."

"a friend, who you kissed tonight and enjoyed doing so?" joy asked sneakily. i tried to come up with something clever to say back, but the only noise i made was stuttering. it was like sooyoung could sense it.

"fine." she said nonchalantly, sounding like she held back laughter. "i'll just see you tomorrow then."

"fine." i actually started to get annoyed, and she clicked away the call.

i was not in love with her. i'm not gay.

"oh sana honey!" chorong lightened up as I stepped into the kitchen the following morning. a pot of fresh mad coffee and a plate of still reeking hot toast was sitting on the round table, and chorong was sitting with her nose in the daily newspaper. "did you sleep well?"

i nodded quietly, having to discreetly turn around to hide my burning face. it felt odd to talk to dahyun's mother like this, when I had kissed her daughter just a few hours ago. and she had no idea. gaining back my sense, i turned around and started to slowly walk to the table.

that was when i noticed that dahyun wasn't in the room. was she still sleeping?

"where is dahyun?" i asked, grabbing the pot and pouring the coffee into a green mug as i sat down. chorong flipped the page she was reading.