Chapter 4 | Joel meets Sebastian

Reiji’s p.o.v

  I've been with Joel by my side for 5 years. He seemed like more of a brother to me than my actual brothers,for he understood that there was darkness filling Naunton. And it was he who brought me into the whimsical world of skating, a passion I now practice every single day. Today, we’re both 15 year old boys, currently skating on the ice. His hair grew longer from when we were 10, and he's now capturing a lot of girls hearts,but isn't looking for a relationship.

'I like the feeling of being in liberty. Were I don't need to worry about anything else in life except I. This village is bloodthirsty as it is, it's already hard taking care of myself alone, Reiji.’

Joel told me whilst he made a swerve on the ice with his skates, a sharp jagged line now marked on its surface.

'I feel that something bad is going to happen Joel tonight. You know that I have the ability to sense it…’ I told him. For I felt it. The steng was in the air. The aroma was everywhere. I glided again on the ice as he gave me a worried look.

'Today out of all days? Shit...today I had to sleep at my mentally ill grandma's tattered cottage which is on the back end of Naunton.’

'No. Stay at my house tonight.' I told Joel. ‘It would be a very stupid move to go so far alone this evening and it's already dark. You're not some simple pawn,are you? And anyways, you've never been so it would be nice to show you around.’ Joel spun on the ice.

'Thank you a lot. Haha I spun like a fairy. Did I spin with poise and perfection?’ he joked around.

'Of course you did. Like a small child at that you idiot XD.’

***

You arrived at Reiji's cottage. It's approximately 10p.m and the starry sky was like an oil canvas. A beautiful night to hide the dark truth…

'Ok Joel so my dad's going to answer the door. Don't be intimidated by him, just stay next to me ,say absolutely nothing and you should be fine. Got it?’ I told him as I rang the doorbell of our cottage.

'It takes a lot to intimidate me my friend. Some silly English-Japanese bloke has no effect on this sexy man right here hehe.’ he replied. I could tell he was bluffing.

The door suddenly swung open to meet a towering figure dressed in black. Eyes sharp and steady, face stern and choleric.

'Oh hello Reiji dear… and what do we have here?’

The look of utmost terror on Joel's face was priceless. He was staring at my dad's face as though it was a meal of maggots. Sebastian was staring long and hard at Joel as though he was some pestilent insect.

'Uhmm.. father, I hope you don't mind but I asked Joel to join us and stay over the night today. A sign of my gratitude for  him being such a good friend and for all the work he voluntarily does for Naunton. We shall have him for dinner.’

The air was filled with tension,for my father could just leave him outside in the dead of night to fend for himself. I made a sigh of relief when my dad ushered us inside to the dining room were my siblings were sitting.

‘ For today we have a pot of warm beef stew. Luckily enough i made extra so your little friend over won't stay hungry.’ Sebastian told us. I saw Joel's shock at the sight of this,for he didn't know that the strict English and French professor was in fact my father. They don't really have good memories of each other... especially since Joel used to slack on my dad's subjects and disturb me in class in order to piss me off. Once they even had an argument in the middle of class which resulted in Joel getting 2 weeks of detention in his way.

He also didn't know that I had siblings.

There were in fact many things he didn't know about my private life.

The dinner was eaten in silence,meaning  Joel stared at the floor whilst Sebastian eyed him like a hawk. My brother's were staring at him shockingly,for I had never brought a friend home, especially the oldest class’ heart throb, Joel Roth.

Right before we left the table to my room m.dad spoke.

'Mr Roth, if you'd like I already corrected your French test,you can gladly have it back.’

My friend jumped in his seat with fear.

'Uhmm... that's ok Professor Michaelis… you can keep it for now…’ he replied, his voice so quiet like he could get tortured.

'I guessed of course,with a result like this.’

My brother's sniffled a laugh.

Oh my god. Sebastian simply did it to scare him. Still, it's funny seeing Joel feel so vulnerable.

***

As soon as we reached my room Joel locked the door and looked at me with a face of anger and horror.

'YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THAT...THAT THAT DEMON...IS YOUR FATHER!WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!? DID YOU DO THIS TO KEEP ME SAFE OR TO SIMPLY SEE ME SHIT MYSELF?!!!’

I burst into a fit of laughter. After some seconds taken to control myself, I told him

'I’m sorry XD. I thought you wouldn't mind.’

A pillow was suddenly flung straight at my face.

'I WOULDN'T MIND, EH? I DIDN'T BLOODY MIND!!!’ Joel sighed.

'But still...I should have guessed. You're quite the wierd child. Guess you got it from him.’

I laughed again.

'Maybe I did I suppose…’

'He made a delicious stew though….’

'Haha I know right. Anyways,we should sleep

My father usually comes to speak to me after we finish eating...and If he finds us dozed off he'll walk away…’

Joel suddenly slipped in my covers and started to snore, pretending to be in the world of dreams. I dimmed the lights and layed on the carpet next to my bed,now we're i had to sleep since I got my original bed stolen from me. ^^

I went behind his ear and whispered in a deep voice,an attempt to sound like my father,

'It’s a deathly night today Joel Roth…’

He screamed and turned around with shock,thus punching me in the nose.

'AGHHH JOEL!?’

'You asked for it. Now go to sleep...I don't want to see that scary inhuman creature in here…’

'Haha ok.’

We proceeded to sleep,and an hour later,I heard the door creak open.

I knew Joel realised for I saw him pull the bed sheets higher above his face. I suddenly felt a warm blanket being placed on me.

I was warm and cozy...but I just couldn't sleep for the smell of death was too strong tonight~

Hope you enjoyed. This was a long chapter! Also feel free to comment some constructive criticism. Love ~Bambi