Chapter 6 | Skating

The piercing sound of Reiji's ice skates producing friction across the icy ground was music to his ears. It only meant one thing:winter had befallen. It was to be a brumal winter this year,with predictions of snow and frost ahead. The distinct aroma of burning firewood could already be taken in from the town central, the streets enveloped in a blanket of white,the pubs and bars full of jolly blokes with nothing to spend time on. With warm street lights all around,the village was given a cozy glow.

Reiji lived in a house close to the abandoned cathedral, it's painted glass now covered in a layer of frost.Holy masses stopped being taken place in the building,so the only sound which emerged from the building was the gushing of the wind,making it look like a secret garden.Reiji always dreamed of entering the cathedral,but all he  has ever done was pass in front of it. And anyways,the main entrance was locked. Next to it was the bridge that Reiji never past over, though wanted desperately to. It was the bridge which separates the outskirts from the greenery and exits Naunton. Across it was a small cemetery,the residents of Naunton preferred calling it the charnel house, since it was an old village saying that the word cemetery is taboo.The superstitions of this village were taking the best of them. Late at night when Thompson would be laying awake in bed he could vaguely see it from his bedroom window. Holding the poor souls locked in a trance for all eternity.

Thompson made another swerve on the ice with his skates, forming a small crack on the ice. For he was skating on a frozen lake, which later on in the year just turns into a normal area of water. That's why he loved the cold winter months so much,for it was the only time of the year he was able to get his skating shoes from the bottom of his mahogany oak wardrobe.

He was so tranquil,so deeply invested in the ice. His long jet black locks swaying behind him,the icy cold breath in his nose,his tartar scarf reaching his mouth. He was freezing, but he was in peace. Today's afternoon and morning brought no mention on Reiji's senses,and he was surprised,more thankful,that nothing seemed to occur last night.