Chapter 21

"So Diana. Erick told us that you're a senior." Mr. Cruz, Erick's dad said. We were having dinner and they had been asking me an insurmountable amount of questions and telling me things about Erick. I could tell he was embarrassed.

I nodded my head, then Karen spoke up, "Did you know she's already eighteen?" Karen glared at me with a small grin on her face. Who does she think she's messing with?

"Oh really?" Mrs. Cruz, Adriana, asked, taking a sip of her wine. She raised her eyebrows at me as I sat there, a blank expression on my face as I stared back at Karen.

"Yes I am." I said. I turned to look at her with a smile. I saw Mr. Cruz nod his head through the corner of my eyes.

"That's great." Mrs. Cruz beamed. "Do you work by any chance?" I could see Erick move in his chair. He seemed uncomfortable. He gripped his fork and looked off to the side.

I wonder what's in his head, I thought.

"Well, it's not quite a job where I go every single day. It's a once or twice a week type of job." I don't really know how to describe my work being a dj. It's pretty complicated.

Mr. Cruz, who was eating his dinner, looked up at me in question. I could tell he was a bit confused and so was Mrs. Cruz.

"What do you mean?" Mr. Cruz asked. He placed his fork to the side and wiped his lips with his napkin. He then put it back on his lap, crossing his hands over the table. I could feel my legs twitching. I don't really know if I'm nervous more than I am hungry anymore.

"Like I told Mrs. Cruz-".

"Adriana." I was cut off by Mrs. Cruz. She smiled at me to continue.

I smiled back before continuing. "I'm a dj. That's my job and hopefully, it'll soon be my career." I took in their expressions. Mrs. Cruz seemed excited. Mr. Cruz looked surprised. Karen rolled her eyes. Erick only sat there, a look of admiration. I couldn't help but grin at him. He made me feel good about myself and I loved how it felt.

"So you plan to do this the rest of your life?" Mr. Cruz paused then began again, "What about college?" He furrowed his eyebrows as he waited for me to respond. Little do they know I actually have a plan.

"Oh, I will attend college. I'm actually going to major in becoming a music producer."

"How long have you been in the dj business?" Mr. Cruz asked. He took a sip of his beer and let out a sound of satisfaction.

"About six years ago. Back in sixth grade." I nodded.

"That's amazing!" Mrs. Cruz took my hand and squeezed it.

"Yes it is. It's good that you have a plan. Not many people do even at your age. Erick here wants to become a carpenter, but I would say he should go in to become an Entrepreneur or a mechanical engineer. It suits him. Right mijo?" Mr. Cruz looked at Erick who was looking down at his plate.

"Erick your father is talking to you." Mrs. Cruz said to Erick rather annoyed that Erick didn't respond.

"Yes." Erick replied. He looked up at his dad and he didn't look too happy. Mr. Cruz only glanced at him then turned to me again.

"Well, I'm sorry but I have some things to do." He put his napkin on the table then stood. "It was a pleasure meeting you Diana." He gave me a nod then turned to look at Erick. They exchanged looks before he left. Then it was just Mrs. Cruz, Karen, Erick, and myself.

"Sorry for that." Mrs. Cruz apologized. "He has to go work on some things in our room." I nodded, understanding. She picked up my empty plate.

"Let me help you with that." I stood up after her as she took them to the kitchen.