Army of One

I looked back to make sure they were asleep. Looking back at the glowing eyes of the wolf I headed straight for it.

All the beautiful creatures that once roamed were now gone. I descend down hills and crossed over a river to get to the wolf.

Finally. With dirt on my boots and leaves in my hair i stumbled upon him. Or her. The wolf. It was hiding.

I tried to use my sensory magic but I could not guess where it was. I looked around.

The sky remained black and silent. Leaves rustled and trees swayed aside. I looked into it.

A black wolf with low yellow eyes. It sauntered. Usually I could sense what people and animals feel... But it wouldn't let me. It was so closed up and angry.

I could only sense a few things, it was lonely, it was a boy, and he was just a youngling.

It stepped out so I could see him. He was silver.

He was beyond beautiful. I leaned my head, admiring him in affection.

He started snarling. He huffed and grunted at me. Stepping toward me in advance his hair raised on his back and he stalked around me.

He was definitely brave enough to see me as food when he was just a little pup.

My wings flexed out. He immediately jumped towards me. I slapped him back and rose in the air. Leaves whisked around me.

I heard puppy whimpers. I landed back down to see the wolf sauntering on the ground. He bowed a little and looked up at me.

"Awe... aren't you cute." I stroked his fur, obviously winning his affection. He leaned up and licked my cheek.

"Who's a good boy? Huh?" I scratched his ears lightly. His tongue wagged out of his mouth.

"Army." I called him. I could sense the fight in this wolf pup. His silver hairs glinted and he relaxed at the sound of his new name.

I laid back with Army. The night air was cold. Army's fur kept me warm as we fell asleep with each other.