Chapter 8

"How did it go?" Gabriel questioned me as I stepped into the car. 

The car's engine roared, "It went well, we exchanged numbers."

"Okay, that's good, I guess." He said quietly.

I looked at him wondering why he was acting so oddly, "Yeah, I guess."

I endured the remainder of the ride in awkward silence. Gabriel didn't say another word, was he mad at me for some unknown reason? Did I do something wrong? What happened?

When we reached home he made a beeline for his bedroom. Alarms went off in my head, he never went straight to bed. Late into the night he would often find himself watching television or reading. Maybe he's tired, I thought, trying not a dwell on it.

I too headed for bed, feeling worried about Gabriel. 

The next morning I woke up to the irritating sound of my phone chiming nonstop. One would think that it was an alarm but it wasn't. Only Jack sending countless texts to my phone. They all had similar messages. "Call me," "I need to talk," "Why aren't you replying?" How lonely was he?

Annoyed being waken up seven in the morning when I didn't have to, I called Jack.

The phone didn't have to time to ring before he picked it up. "Hey Emma, how are you?" He asked in a spritely voice. 

I cleared my throat, "I'm good. I'd be better if you hadn't waken me up."

"Oh. Sorry about that."

Despite wanting to yuck him from the other end of the phone for disturbing my sleep I replied, "That's alright. What did you want to talk to me about?"

"I... uh, was wondering if you would like to go out with me today?" 

A smile found my face for the first time that morning. "For sure, where do you want to meet?"

"How about we meet at this restaurant, Nova, at four o'clock this afternoon?"

"Sounds splendid, see you there."

"Okay, have a good day."

"Bye." I hung up the phone. 

I was sleepy but still excited about making progress with Jack. He would trust me in no time. I went to Gabriel's bedroom to check up on him and tell him about my date with Jack.

 I knocked on the door and got a loud groan in return.

"Gabriel, are you okay? I'm checking up on you?" I called out.

"I am just," he went into a coughing fit "Fine."

I immediately burst into the room where he laid down bundled up by blankets. He looked ghastly. Dark circles surrounded his eyes, his nose took on a bright shade of red and his skin was pale, nearly translucent. If I didn't know any better I'd think he was on his death bed.

"You do know when you knock you are supposed to wait for someone to come in, right?" He croaked.

"I was concerned ,that's all. You don't look too good." I walked over to him and felt his forehead. "You are burning up. Did you take anything for the fever?"

"No," he muttered.

"Well I am going to get you something, I will be right back." I started to run off, but he caught my hand, preventing me from leaving.

"There is no need to do anything." He said weakly.

"Why did you say that, don't you want to get better?" I was bewildered. Who would want to stay sick? It didn't make any sense, not that anything in my life made sense anymore.

"I can tough it out. It is just a little cold, no biggie. "

"Well, a little cold, can turn into a little pneumonia and can result in a little death. Deal with it now before it too late." Why were men so stubborn? Was it that hard to take some medicine?

"I am a spirit, I can't die. I might leave this body, but I won't die."

"That doesn't mean you should suffer."

He sighed, "You do have a point, can I have some medicine please?"

I smiled, "That's better. Medicine coming right up."

 I went to the kitchen and searched for some cold medicine of some sort. I found some pills and I brought it to him with water.

He swallowed the pills. "Did you have anything to eat this morning?" I asked.

"No."

"You need to eat, to keep your strengths up. I am going to make you some soup while you rest, sounds good?"

"Sounds good. Thanks."

"No problem, get some sleep."

I planned to make chicken soup. Whenever I was sick my mother would make that for me and I would always feel better. I hoped it worked for Gabriel like it did for me. I never had a chance to dazzle him with my cooking skills or lack there of.

I finished the soup and put some in a bowl to take to Gabriel.

I knocked lightly on the door. "Come in!" He shouted.

"I made some soup." He sat up in his bed and ate while I sat down on a chair. I peeped at my watch that read three o'clock.  I nearly forgot my outing with Jack. I also failed to tell Gabriel about. 

"Jack asked me out on a date." I stated.

"Oh, okay. When are you going?" He asked.

"At four o'clock." I replied.

"Well, what are you doing here?"

"I am not quite sure if I want to leave you," I said, resting my hand on his forehead.

He jolted, almost spilled soup on himself. "Don't worry about me, I am a grown man. You need to go and get information."

I sighed, "Are you certain?"

He raised an eyebrow, "Have I ever steered you wrong?"

I smirked, "That has yet to be determined."

He rolled his eyes, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just go."

I listened to the man and proceeded prepare for my date.

A/N: Aww, poor Gabriel. How do you think Jack and Lilianna's date will go?