Introduction

This is a collection of poetry that I wrote during my childhood. It includes a broad range of styles and emotions, because I crafted them at various times of my life. The following is a poem entitled "Bike Riding," composed in the fifth grade. When I submitted it to my creative writing teacher, she refused to accept it because she could not believe that I had written it on my own.

      As buds swell on tree limbs,

      And flowers finally explode,

      The air is warm and sweet,

      A break from Winter’s icy grip.

      I trample fallen branch clippings,

      A cool breeze tickling my cheeks.

      I pedal faster, my hair whipping,

      Until my spokes ride the wind.

      A fire kindles in the night sky

      As a passionate dawn approaches.

       Living things awaken and stir,

       Enlightening the yearly transition.

       The sun peeks through the azure horizon above,

       Heating the cold and compact earth.

       Spring’s spirit lingers in the air,

       And the annual tulips live to see it through.

        The sun has just come out to play,

        Bouncing golden beams off the bay.

        There's a chorus in the trees,

        A symphony of birds and bees.        

        A sweet perfume flounces in the air,

        Giving the atmosphere a heavenly flair.

During sixth grade, I wrote the poems "The Fantasy of Argen" and "Forest." During this period, I only created traditional, rhyming poetry. Then, with a visit to the Poet's House in New York City, everything changed. I became enchanted by rich abstract concepts, and the beauty of words themselves. During seventh grade I wrote such poems as "Dream" and "Speech." In eighth grade, I began to describe the ordinary scenes in my life, such as the sweet garden outside my school. Pieces like "January Rain" and "February Snow" were born.

In ninth grade, I began to delve into nature's powerful imagery, creating poems like "Autumn," composed on the train ride to school, and "Stormy Dusk," after a thunder storm interrupted my tennis game. During tenth grade, I continued this state of mind, unleashing "Ode to Creativity." Now in eleventh grade, at the age of sixteen, I have found a brand new style: a mixture of rhyming, imagery, and a pleasant flow of words. My most recent pieces were "Fleeing Pale Birches" and "The Neither City." I am still updating this collection, and your comments would be greatly appreciated!