⇉ eighteen

eighteen - She Said She Could But She Couldn't

    Jimmy Moore knocks on the wooden door three times before he stepped back to his spot next to Ryan Collins on the doorstep.

    She was nervous. They both were. The longer they waited for someone to answer the door, the more she felt afraid this encounter would be similar to the last time she knocked on family’s door.

    An elderly female answered the door. She was smaller than Ryan’s height, probably around the height of five feet. Her hair was black that seemed to be growing lighter and lighter the older she gets. Her wrinkles gave off that she was probably around her sixties when she was most likely older.

    She was still dressed in her night gown while spanish music was playing the background. She was probably in the middle of house cleaning.

    ‘’Yes?’’ She questions. Her accent was so thick, it almost sounded like she said jes.

    ‘’Mrs. Ginessa,’’ Jimmy smiles. ‘’It’s me, Jimmy. Error de dios.’’

    Her features fall into a sneer. ‘’Ah, sí,’’ She mutters, eyeing him up and down with bitter distaste. ‘’What do you want?’’

    Jimmy planned a quick trip to Miami, Florida, to find Ryan Collin’s grandparents from her mother side. Here they were, standing at her grandmother’s doorstep who was already two point five seconds away from slamming the door shut on them.

    ‘’Uh,’’ He turns to Ryan and places a hand on her shoulder. ‘’Meet Ryan, señora. Esra’s daughter.’’

    ‘’I thought I made it very clear to Marvin, I wanted no part of their family!’’ She exclaims furiously.

    ‘’Pero, abuela,’’ Ryan chimes in. Her grandmother eyed her with wide eyes. She was not only surprise to hear speak but in fluent spanish. ‘’My dad kicked me out. I will like to be able to stay with family.’’

    She scoffs while looking away. ‘’Por supuesto que lo haría, ese tonto.’’ She turns back to Ryan and shakes her head. ‘’I’m sorry, querido, but I’m not taking you in. You weren’t my problem from the start and you won’t be now.’’

    ‘’Quién está en la puerta?’’ A male voice from inside called.

    ‘’No one,’’ She yells back into the house. She looks at Ryan and warns her, ‘’I suggest you go. You’re wasting your time.’’

    ‘’Mommy wouldn’t want you turning on your own grandchild,’’ Ryan fires. She was angry. No matter where she turned to, no member of family wanted nothing to do with her. What type of life was this to live?

    ‘’Your mother’s death was karma for even keeping you at such a young age,’’ She fires back. Her features dropped while gaping at the elderly woman, her heart sinking further and further from her chest down to the endless pit of her stomach. And Ryan must say that, that hurts like a real bite in the ass.

    ‘’Hey,’’ Jimmy’s tone was deep. By now, Esra’s parents were only tempting his tolerance. It was bad enough his standards were low for them as it is, but this seemed to have created a new record. ‘’Don’t talk to her like that.’’

    ‘’Pendejo,’’ She hissed before closing her door shut.

    There was a moment of silence that dawned upon the two. One that made it uncomfortable on Jimmy’s end, for he has no idea to comfort Ryan from the attack her grandmother pursued while Ryan was wallowing in her thoughts. Does she only cause damage in people’s lives? Is that why nobody wants her around?