I Guess I Was Wrong...

I struggled to keep up with Sesshomaru after hesitantly leaving Rin with Jaken. When I had almost caught up with him I stopped and saw he was in a field of pretty flowers with woman, she was nearly dead, sitting in the middle of the field.

"S-Sesshomaru?" she says surprised.

"I came following the scent of Naraku's miasma" He replied.

She let out a sad, small chuckle.

"Are you disappointed then? That I wasn't Naraku?" she says. I try my hardest to be unseen.

"I knew it was you" He says to her surprise.

So he knew that it wasn't really Naraku, huh? Then why bring me.

"I-I see...." she says. "So you came to me... knowingly, huh?" she continued.

They share an almost loving gaze. Sesshomaru reaches for his Tenseiga, he keeps his hand on the grip for a minute and then pulls away. Was he going to save this woman? Does he care for her?

"Are you leaving?" he asks.

"Yeah... Soon..." she says smiling.

"But... at the end... I got to see you..." she says, her words practically spoken by the wind. And with that she left this world, blowing a warm breeze through Sesshomaru's long hair.

"She was smiling" Sesshomaru says to himself sorrowfully.

It was obvious that there was no saving that woman with the Tenseiga or else she would still be alive. I truthfully never thought that someone, anyone, could make him sad. I thought his heart was just too cold. I wonder if Rin or I died, would that make him feel something, anything? If I was dying, would he try to save me? Probably not. I'm human, I'm expendable. But this woman... who is she?

Sesshomaru walks past me.

"Let's go" he says.

"What about Naraku?"

"Do you see him anywhere? I didn't think so, now hurry up, I'm leaving with or without you."

And yet again I'm running after Sesshomaru, struggling to keep up. So who was she? What does she mean to him? Wait. Why should I care? It's none of my business, I'll just leave it alone. Before I know it, it's night time and questions still flood my mind. Sesshomaru has been completely quiet yet awake, sitting by the trunk of a tree like usual and Rin is dead asleep. I'm lying on my back by the warm fire staring at the night sky. I roll over to see Sesshomaru's face through the flames. He's barely keeping himself awake, and I can see the muted sadness in his tired eyes.

Why did the world bring me to him? Why do I stay? Why does his sadness reflect on me?

I roll back onto my back, and look to the sky. Slowly, a fog began to form around the camp, probably the result of my crippling confusion mixed with my powers. A couple of minutes pass, and all I can see through the thick fog is the fire and Sesshomaru's face. His golden eyes are sealed shut by unconsciousness as he sleeps, when suddenly he looks up and his eyes meet mine. I sat up immediately, clearing all questions of my consciousness, and nervously stared at my hands laid in my lap.

"Does my gaze intimidate you?" he asks.

"No it confuses me..." I replied.

"How so?"

I stayed silent and continued to stare at my hands in my lap.

"I can tell that something is bothering you simply because of the fog." he says. "You don't have to tell me." he continues.

I look up at him to see that he's looking out into the fog curiously.

"Why do we stay together? I mean, we hate each other wholeheartedly and can't seem to get along, so why even travel together?" I say to him. His eyes divert back to me and with a single second of eye contact that withheld no anger or malice, my heart skipped a beat and I could feel my heart burn for him in the most unexpected way. But only for a second.

"Don't ask me why you chose to follow me after I told you to leave." his words call my attention back to the conversation.

"I have my reasons, I simply question my will to stay versus my will to leave. On one hand I stay for Rin and to see why my mother told me to find you. But on the other hand I simply cannot stand you."

"So your mother is the reason that you found me, huh?" he says completely ignoring the part where I said I couldn't stand him.

"Do you know her? My mother, her name is Matsume Okuda."

"Okuda... That last name seems familiar..." he mumbles.

"You've probably heard of my great-great-grandmother Lady Itsuji Okuda, she was a demon who took in my great-grandmother."

"Itsuji Okuda was a comrade of my father during the war, I never knew her, but I do know who you are talking about. Most demons mocked her for taking in a human child, but not my father, he had a strange respect for her that I could never understand. I guess that mindset of mine is what caused him to give me the Tenseiga, rather than the Tessaiga." he trails off.

"The Tessaiga?"

"The Tessaiga is a very powerful sword, capable of unimaginable destruction. My pathetic half-brother, Inuyasha, received the sword. Him and his band of humans go around wasting the power of the Tessaiga on low life demons in their half-witted search for Naraku."

"So where did the swords come from?"

"They were both once a fang of my father's. Toto-sai had made them to be wielded by my father, Inu no Taisho. The Tessaiga has a variety of special abilities, and Tenseiga's healing ability was taken from Tessaiga and made into an individual sword."

"So you got a healing sword, rather than a sword of power? Why?"

"The Tessaiga has a mind of its own, and the wielder must value 'the gift of life' before you can wield it."

"Oh, now I see why you can't use it, because you don't value the life of others." I taunted.

"And what do you know of my concern for the life of others?"

"Well you certainly don't care for me." I said blankly.

Did I really just say that!?  How could I have let that slip out. Well I guess it was only a matter of time until I told him my sappy, 'no one cares about me' feelings.

"I find it annoying, that you think I don't care about you."

My cheeks heats up and turns a rosy pink.

A-am I blushing?