Part 16 - Salt licking and lime sucking

Axel's POV

Axel's POV

This was exactly the type of situation I tend to avoid. Max merely offered a reassuring smile that did absolutely nothing to ease the building and accumulating unease. I swallowed before turning the doorknob to enter the girls' apartment. Will Melia expect me to make a move? Does she even know about my sister's matchmaking plan? Do I even want to pursue her? The manic thoughts stomped around in my mind.

"Hello?" I called as we entered. The announcement was fairly pointless, as the entire open plan living space had a clear view of the front door.

"Hey, baby bro," Bex yelled from behind the kitchen counter with a smile, "Maxie," she emasculated poor Max with a cheeky wink.

I cringed at her loudness. "Geesh Rebecca, you don't have to yell," I mumbled.

"Oh shush, you're here less than a second and already you're a party pooper," she shot back, sticking her tongue out at me immaturely.

Max chuckled as he walked to take a seat on the sofa next to Landon, who was sprawled out comfortably. "Sup Max?" Landon greeted him with a fist bump, "Relax Axe, oh man that rhymed," he said to me with a chuckle.

I frowned staring at him, "Why are you here alone with my sister?" I asked looking accusingly between the two of them.

"Oh, we just had a meaningless roll in the hay," Bex said wiggling her eyebrows while sucking batter from her index finger.

I cringed at both the idea and the image before shooting Landon a dirty look. He held up both hands, "No, dude I just got here myself," he said defensively, straining to suppress his laughter.

"Catch," Bex yelled again. I managed to catch the beer she threw at me just in time, "Take it and chill, Melia ain't here," she said with a knowing look.

I huffed, blushing bright red. But yes, I did relax, before disappointment settled in the pit of my stomach. She's not here?

"Oh, where is she?" I asked with my best poker face. I threw the beer at Landon, who caught it with his keen athletic reactions. "Here you have it, poet," I teased him.

"Hmm, good question actually, I have no idea where she is," Bex said looking thoughtful for a second before she shrugged and continued.

Landon and Max were deep in conversation, so I settled on the barstool at the counter Bex was working behind. I took a second to take her in and to observe her handy work. She was wearing an apron with the caption –I am the naked chef- written on it. "What are you making?" I finally asked unable to find the logic behind the gooey pink batter.

"Cupcakes," she announced with pride.

"For dinner?" I asked puzzled, the concept not beyond her I supposed.

"No silly, dinner is in the oven," she said proudly.

I straightened my back to look at the oven, sighing as I recognized the contents. "You ordered pizza, what happened to making dinner?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.