21. Confessions

^^^^

Dedicated to @Debbie_Williams for her amazing support. Thank you a million times over. :)

Can you believe it? I'm updating again! This is unusual for me but I had a sudden burst of inspriation for this and before I knew it I had a chapter written. Happy reading and let me know what you think. <3

****

Once I’m in the car I take a few deep breaths and push the events of the night out of my mind for the time being. Right now there is only one thing I want. My mother. I want her consoling hug and I want her to tell me everything will be okay.

Ten minutes later I’ve parked the car in front of their house and I’m staring at it in fear. I don’t know why I’m so frightened. Maybe I’m afraid she’ll disown me for leaving Gregory. Maybe I’m afraid she won’t support me. I don’t want either of those things to happen.

After taking a few more deep breath I’m finally composed so I open the door and step out. As I slam the door behind me, the front door to the house opens and Carly pokes her head out. When she spots me she squeals in delight, runs down the steps and is embracing me in a rib breaking hug within seconds. She’s still as overexcited as ever. Her arms are wrapped around me and I’m literally trapped.

“Can’t. Breathe,” I gasp out.

Carly lets go and grins at me, bouncing up and down. “It’s so good to see you. Where have you been?”

I shrug. “Just been busy.”

She pouts. “Too busy for your own family? That’s so typical.”

Realising our bonding moment is over, I sigh in frustration and head off toward the house.

“Have you finished your beauty therapy course?”

“If you’d visited more often you’d know I graduated top of my class three months ago. I even landed a job at the TV station doing makeup for the presenters.”

I deserved that. It’s true, I’ve been a stranger and I have no acceptable reason for it. I have to admit though, I’m surprised she’s come so far. I am proud of her though, she’s finally found her niche.

Stopping just in front of the house, I shake my head in disbelief. “You got a job? As in someone actually employed you?”

Carly scowled. “You don’t have to be so surprised.”

“Come on Carly, you don’t hold down jobs. You know that as well as I do. Besides when you did my makeup I looked like a clown. I wasn’t sure you’d get far. I’m sorry I doubted you.”

She looks at me in surprise, a small smile on her lips. “Thanks I guess. And it wasn’t that bad.”

I give her a pointed look. “You know it was.”

Her small smile turns into a grin and she chuckles lightly. “Oh okay, I suppose it wasn’t great. I’m sorry if it ruined your wedding day.”

“You didn’t ruin anything. My wedding day was ruined the moment I agreed to marry Gregory.”

The words tumble out of my mouth so quickly I don’t realise what I’ve said until I see the shocked look on Carly’s face. Oh crap, that wasn’t meant to happen.

“Teresa,” she exclaims, “I hope you don’t mean that.”

I can feel my cheeks heat up. Rather than responding I grab her hand and drag her inside. Once we’re in and the door is shut I say, “We have a lot to talk about. I’ll discuss it over dinner.” Carly gives me a look and I sigh in exasperation, “Don’t look at me like that. I’ll explain everything soon.”