III - The Room of Requirement

"Bombarda Maxima."

The wall from the Room of Requirement exploded with a huge bang. Umbridge looked very pleased with herself. Filch, Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle and the others from the Inquisitorial Squad surrounded her with a big grin. 

Harry looked at Malfoy. They exchanged dirty looks.

 "Get them," Umbridge ordered her Squad.

 Soon everybody was captured by the Inquisitorial Squad. Malfoy had grasped Harry, who struggled hard to get away. 

"Na aahh Potter, you won't escape this time," Malfoy snapped with a smirk. 

"Hum hum."

Malfoy turned around. "Yes, professor?" 

Umbridge smiled her ugly smile. "You and the Granger-girl will clean up this place." she pointed at the Room of Requirement. 

"What?" Malfoy blurred out, shocked. 

"Is there a problem, Mister Malfoy?" Umbridge asked sweet. 

"No..no, not at all," he grumbled. 

"Lovely. No magic, you'll do it at the muggle way. Everyone else, follow me, please." Umbridge turned around and the others followed her, Malfoy and Hermione staying behind.

 Hermione sighed and walked in the room. 

"Hey! Where are you going, you filthy -"

"Shut up." Malfoy stopped talking.

 "Excuse me Granger, what did you just say?" 

Hermione raised her eyebrow challenging. "Shut up," she repeated. 

Malfoy opened his mouth to say something, but thought twice and walked into the Room. Hermione smirked, and followed him inside.

 It was one big mess. Everywhere she looked lay chunks of debris, dust and pieces of mirrors. She sighed. Cleaning this up without using magic would take centuries. 

Malfoy seemed hundred per cent irritated with the fact he had to clean something. That thought made her smile.

 "You're a mudblood, you know how it works."

Hermione frowned.  "What?"

Malfoy rolled his eyes. "How are we gonna clean this?"

When he saw her expression he added: "Do you think I know how muggles clean up?" Hermione rolled her eyes. "Accio muggle brooms," she said.

 Two normal brooms arrived. She passed one to Malfoy. 

He caught it and stared at it with an odd look. He looked up at her. She walked away and began to sweep the floor. He stared for a few minutes at the broom before walking away. While Hermione swept the floor, she heard him scowl a couple of times, which made her smile.

 "Stupid muggles. Can't make anything useful."

Hermione shook her head, enjoying his frustrated mood. 

"Aargh!" Malfoy yelled. She smiled. "Stupid thing!" 

Hermione heard a loud clatter and when she walked over to Malfoy, she saw he had dropped his broom onto the ground. He now stared furiously at it.

 "Having problems?" she asked teasing.

 "Can't you see?" He picked up the broom and began to hit the ground with the stick-side, instead of the hairy side. "It doesn't work!"

Hermione laughed.

 "What?" he snapped.

 She took his broom and turned it around. She swept a few times over the ground and then gave it back. His lips formed an 'Ooh.' He stood there, dumbfounded. Hermione smirked. Malfoy looked up and frowned.

 "What's uh... what's that ugly plant hanging above your head?" he asked. 

Hermione looked up. She slowly turned her face back to Malfoy.

 "Mistletoe," she whispered. Malfoy's eyes widened. 

Hermione raised an eyebrow and walked away. She began to sweep the floor again. Malfoy was silent. No words were spoken for something what felt like decennia, but what was actually one minute. The only sound was the swiping of Hermione's broom. 

"Hermione?" he asked softly. 

She abruptly stopped her movements. Her eyes grew wide. Had he just said her NAME? She turned around and hastily walked over to Malfoy. 

"You...You said my name?" she asked disbelieving.

 The gape between them was very small: one tiny step and they would stand nose to nose. The mistletoe still hang there, and it was growing. His grey eyes searched for hers. She looked him in the eyes. 

Oh Gods. His eyes were beautiful. 

He stepped forward. He slowly bent over and stroked her cheek softly with his thumb. Then, as if in slow motion, his lips softly brushed against hers. Hermione closed her eyes and gave in in the kiss. 

Everything around them seemed to fade. The world no longer existed. It was only the two of them. 

At first the kiss was pure and innocent but it soon came more passionate and wilder. Hermione dug her hands in his platinum blonde hair. Draco's hands moved up and down her waist. After ages they let go of each other. 

They both looked looked up to meet the eyes of their earlier enemy, now exactly the opposite. 

 Oh boy, this was gonna change everything.