Chapter 5; Confrontation at the Royal Ball

CHAPTER FIVE

Catherine spotted her father right after she enterded the ballroom.Likewise Lord Frederick saw her too and walked towards her direction.She smile at her father with relief in her eyes to see that now she could comfort in her fathers arms.

"My dear girl,you look absolutely stunning."Her father told her after seeing how she look at the moment.

Cathy indeed looked her best tonight.She was no longer wearing her spectacles for yhe first time.She could see cleary even without them.Her attire matched the color of her eyes.It was a combination of blue and white with laced edges and a crisscross knot at the back.Her hair was braided to the side and well brushed.

"Thank you,father.it took me a while to find mothers pendant."She said.

"As I can see,all eyes are on you for the moment you entered."Her father said as he looked around the area and saw many young gentleman there eyes on her, eager to know who she.

"Ah huh.But that also includes uncomfortable glare at the moment."She uneasily  said when she saw how many glares from the ladies in the room that bestowed upon her.

Her father laughed at her remark and said"They are jealous of you.It is the first time you have showed your beauty to public.But wait why is there a leaf on your head."Lord Frederick took it from the top of her brushed hair and showed it to her.

"Ah,that. I kinda wandered myself in the garden before proceeding here.The moon was just absolutely beautiful."She replied,too embarrassed to admit that she was actually got lost.

"I see.~Ah Richard."Lord paused as he saw Duke Richard coming his way.

"Finally,Fred.You're no longer surronded by the ladies.Shame on you.Even though your a widow and already a father,they still cant get enough of you."Duke Richard said teasingly to his friend until he spotted Cathy at the back of him and asked."And who is this beautiful lady,a kin?"

"Yes.She is.Richard allow me to introduce my daughter Catherine." Lord Frederick said to Duke Richard and turned to look at his daughter."Cathy, this is Duke Richard of Richmond. He is a good friend of mine."

"It is a pleasure to meet you,Your Grace."Cathy curtsied as she said this,as a sign of respect. 

Duke Richard was a very handsome man.He was a few inches taller than her father.He had chocolate brown hair and green eyes,and was wearing an brown and white attire.It looked stunning on him.

"It is my pleasure as well. But you can call me uncle Richard. Ah, now you mention it I haven't introduced my son to you. But where is that boy?" Duke Richard said this as he started swinging his head wondering where his son could be.

Lord Frederick bent his head to cathy and said."Richard has a son that is in his mid twenties now.I think Edward is his eldest son."

"How many children does uncle Richard have, father?"Cathy asked out of curiosity.

"So far as I know, Richard has three children.He has twin daughters too and I think they are around 10 years old now."Lord Frederick said to her and she nodded.

"Looking for me, father."Edward said to Duke Richard.

Wait I know that voice it can't be.....Cathy said to herself the minute she heard the voice near the Duke.

"Ah,there you are Edward. Allow me to introduce to you Lord Frederick,Earl of Renford, my close friend and his daughter Catherine."He said to his son and turned to his friend and Cathy."This is Edward my heir."

"It is a pleasure to meet you Lord Frederick and Lady~YOU. "He paused as he saw the lady from earlier.

Cathy was speechless to see the man that was standing next to the Duke.

Him. He's Edward. He's the Duke's son. Why him of all the people? He was the last person she wanted to see.Ah now what will she do? Cathy said inwardly and her mind started to panick.

"It seems you two have met already.Judging from your reactions" Lord Frederick said.

Edward quickly regained his senses and asked Lord Frederick. "I think we were well acquainted when we saw each other earlier at the  garden. Lady Catherine was lost and I helped her by telling her some directions on where to find the ballroom."

Cathy is still too shocked to talk when Edward glance her way . He continued to say as he look back at Lord Frederick.

"Will you mind, if I would dance with your daughter Lord Frederick?"

"You could call me uncle Fred and no I don't mind." Lord Frederick replied.

"Well then,Lady Catherine may I?" He said but before Cathy could reply,he whispered to her ear. "Just agree or do you want to discuss things that might  embarrass you? The kiss maybe is a good topic."

Cathy glared at him and said "Don't you dare~"

"Audience." He said clamly.

"Is something the matter Cathy?"Lord Frederick asked Cathy.

"Nope...we're just about to dance,father."she said as she dragged Edward towards the dance floor.

 As they danced,All eyes were drawn to them.There was silence between them.No one dared to talk. Edward broke it off by simply saying to Cathy.

"You look very beautiful tonight now that I can see you clearly."He stared at her with complete amazement in his eyes.

"I beg your pardon?Surely you didn't ask me to dance with you just to say that."she replied.

"No it's not.I'm here to ask you why did a woman like you lied and participated even though it was forbiden for a woman to enter that kind of tournament?Iwant to hear your reason before I report this." Edward said sternly.

"Oh please don't.~I accidently or I mean I unintentionally wore my brothers armor that day out of curiosity. When I tried to take it off,the kings man servant already came and I was dragged to the arena before I could even protest."She said it while not looking directly at his eyes.

"Then why did you distract me then rather than just facing me head on?Answer me!And look me in the eye when I'm talking to you."

"I panicked ,OK! My mind was not clear and I didn't know what to do.Please don't tell anyone.Please."She pleaded as she slowly look into his green eyes.

"I won't tell,since I ought to have my revenge on you. My way. Look forward to it."He said as he kissed her hand and return her to her father."And thanks for the kiss.Saved a dance for me again later."He whispered as walked away into the crowd of people and to be no longer seen.

How dare he! Why did he need to remind me about that kiss?!He was the one who has stolen it.Ahhhhh.......Nevermind! That Bastard...he actually treatened me...Look forward to it,he says. I want to ignore it. Thank you! And to dance with him again never. Cathy said inwardly and simply wanted to enjoy the night. Where was Chris when you need him?

Christopher stared at his sister from a far. He was shock to see her that beautiful but he wondered why was she so tense. He wasn't even paying attention to his lady companion. He was worried over his sister.

"Hey, Chris.Chris?"said by the lady next to him.

"Huh?Sorry honey, I think I should go now." He said and hurridly left her there standing.

"Chris?! Why ...I... Never!" The lady complained and walked away.