Maps & Hunters

"There are still no news..." Mary leaned against her brother, who held her in his arms "We are near Luanda, already"

Theresa was sitting in front of them, avoiding eye contact. She felt more broken and lonely than ever.

Mimbah and Joan were holding onto each other, as well, while the carriage continued its way to Luanda's port. Joan was glad Christine seemed to avoid her as well, turning to her loved husband, instead.

Joan could feel the mistress was scared of what she could reveal. She even opted for staying very close to her husband, constantly seducing him even when they were surrounded by people and in a very dangerous journey. Joan knew she wanted to have William Ellison in her hands, again. She only hoped he did not fall into her trap all over again.

On the other hand, she feared for her life, as soon as they reached the ship. She was aware of what the wicked mistress was capable of doing.

(...)

Not far from there, the three men in horses silently galloped through the hidden roads, not feeling, at all, confident or excited. Quite the contrary.

"We are making a huge detour" The guard mumbled, sighing. All he wanted was to be away from those dangerous roads and get on the ship to America, the dream land.

John Crawford looked at him, already irritated "What is your point?!"

The guard looked at the master "It is just... we are riding for days and we are getting nowhere..."

Crawford frowned "I am not leaving this place until I find my daughter!"

"Sir" Jefferson spoke "Please try to be reasonable here" he agreed with the guard "You need to start thinking of the possibility we will never find your daughter in this roads"

"She has to be here somewhere!" Crawford snapped

"Sir... we will never make it in time for the ship. But we might get in time for the one next week." Jefferson spoke "Let's not waste our three lives for one we have no idea where..."

"She is MY daughter, for god's sake!" Crawford yelled "You carry on! You are free to go!" he snapped "I am staying here"