Locked

John Crawford was looking through the small window of the ship, waiting for the guard to wake up.

Jefferson had never made it back to their room, so the master assumed everything went according to planned. He would make sure to talk to Ellison about his employee, if he ever saw his friend again.

No, contrary to popular belief, not every business man was wicked.

John Crawford was no murderer.

However, the fury towards Jefferson was almost dangerous for him.

"Sir?"

"Do you ever wonder how William managed to put all the slaves in a ship like this?"

"Uh..." the guard sleepily said, noticing Jefferson's absence "I am guessing they were all in the huge rooms, like the dining rooms and alll..."

"So... they had to be.... huddled"

"I am afraid that was the only way"

The master slowly turned, nodding "You should give me a very good reason not to ruin your life"

The man's eyes widened "Sir?"

"Jefferson will not be here to protect you or your interests anymore."

"Are-Are you threatening me?!" The guard spoke

"You both betrayed me"

"Sir... with all due respect... if we had not taken you away from that pursuit, you would be gone"

"You had to do as I said and continue the search for Diana"

"I hardly believe she survived, Sir"

"So the other man's words were lies"

The guard immediately looked down "I was never one to contradict Jefferson, Sir. To be honest, I know him a lot better than you, and I have seen the things he is capable of, always so protected by the masters"

Crawford looked at him "I do not believe William would ever..."

"Oh, Sir" The guard sadly smiled "Master Ellison is a great man. But he married and trusted the wrong woman"

The master stared at him, understanding him. He remembered his wife, Theresa, and how she always mistrusted Christine Ellison. Maybe she was right all the way.

He actually felt bad for his friend, if that was the truth.

"You will still have to answer to your master for your doings. I lost my daughter because of you!" he stepped forward

"I will not fight you, Sir. I apologize. I really do"

"You are a coward" John Crawford spoke, leaving the ashamed man behind to get some fresh hair.

It mattered not what happened or whose fault it was.

He had lost his Diana.

He could not turn back now.

But he would. Even if he had to wait on the landing port for the next ship back to Luanda. The guard had just revealed the unfortunate attempt of Jefferson to convince him Diana had been killed.

No one could know that, for sure.

And, until he was certain, he would keep trying.

(...)

Mimbah always believed the Ellison's property in Luena was the biggest there was.

Well, no one could blame her for such thoughts.