Shock

William Ellison took a deep breath, but he felt as if there was no air in the room. Suddenly, he felt incapable of properly breathing.

He took a step back, not daring to doubt the old slave's words.

No.

It all made perfect sense.

Now he thought about it, it felt real. That tension, those odd feelings he was never able to explain. It all made sense by then.

"Alright" John Crawford was the first standing up after a terrifying moment of silence "Let's get you outside for some fresh air" he spoke, visibly bothered, as well.

"Wait" Andrew spoke "You are telling me the white slave is my... brother?!" his eyes widened

"Was your brother" Crawford spoke "He's dead now"

His words made Joan cringe, but she felt too weak and emotionally unstable to say anything at all.

However, it affected Ellison even more, if possibly. As if yet another crude reality hit him hard.

Theresa was standing in the corner, not able to say a word. That was definitely something she could have never foreseen. That was a whole new level of evil.

"Cudjo" Mimbah was speechless "Cudjo was always supposed to be our master? Joan? Why did you not tell this sooner?!"

"Yes?" Andrew did not mind, at all, to agree with the young slave "Why did you not talk about this sooner?"

"Oh, do not blame it on her, now" Theresa finally intervened "William was rarely in Luena, the hispanics spent too little time in Africa as well. That was an unfortunate small period of time in which Elena was in Luena" She spoke "The same would have happened here and probably no one would be alive to tell the true story" she stood up "Whenever you went to Luena I am sure there were little chances for you to have a conversation, besides, you would have never believed the slave"

"Indeed" Crawford agreed with his wife, holding a tearful Ellison who was still petrified and in shock.

"I cannot believe this" Andrew stood up and left the room

"I apologize, Master" Joan breathed

The master looked up at her "I enslaved my son. I killed my son. I lost my daughter..."

"You did not lose your daughter!" Crawford pushed him up, once again "We will find your daughter, as we will find mine!" he spoke "And there was no way you could know the kid was yours"

"Do you still believe that, John?" Ellison breathed "We lost them. There is no turning back"

Joan looked away, accepting Mimbah's embrace, as the men and Theresa moved outside the room "I have faith. You will find some, as well, in its time" John Crawford spoke as Theresa turned back to the slaves

"Thank you, Joan" she called her by her name, with a sad smile "You both have been a huge help. You both did the right thing. No one will punish you or harm you"

Mimbah gulped "Thank you, mistress Crawford"

As soon as the masters left, both females jumped in a fright when Mingo invaded the room "What the hell happened here?!"

(...)

It was early in the morning, the sun rays had started to invade her petite room only a few moments before, but Diana was already up and getting dressed.

She had trouble sleeping, in the past days.