Lost trio

"Sir" Jeffferson called out loud, in what was a very desperate moment for John Crawford, lho was loosing hope by second. "There's another carriage!" he said

The men approached the destroyed carriage, as John Crawford rolled his eyes "If there is someone in there... it is a corpse"

A guard, however, jumped down his horse and went to take a close look.

"We can carry on searching, Sir" Jefferson spoke "But there is, in fact, not much we can..."

"There is something in there!" the guard exclaimed, kneeling to reach inside the ruined carriage "A lady's purse" he spoke as he reached it, taking it out

Crawford's eyes widened, immediately recognizing it. Even if he did not, it obviously had to be a Diana's purse. No one else had disappeared.

"It is the only thing in it..." The guard spoke, handing the purse to the master.

"What's the plan, Sir?" Jefferson spoke

"This has to mean she either escaped or was taken"

Jefferson nodded, looking at Crawford "Yes, Sir"

"Where would she run? She does not know her way around..."

"Sir..." Jefferson spoke "If she was not taken, she had to run away with someone. She could not make it on her own"

"Well... what would you do?" Crawford desperately asked

"She was in the carriage with young master... and probably with slaves" Jefferson spoke "So if I was a slave, I would not know my way around... but I would certainly have better survival instincts"

John Crawford nodded, appreciating Jefferson line of ideas "So... I would probably continue the line of carriages and try to find someone else... then I would just try to remain unnoticed, get food and clothes and..."

"Well, lead the way, Jefferson. We might find her!" Crawford excitedly said

"What if she was, indeed, taken, Sir?" The guard spoke

"If that is the case..." Jefferson said "There is not much we can do here..."

"It is not the case!" Crawford spoke, turning around to continue his path.

The white slave was sitting by the front wheel, fighting his own will not to sleep. Occo had seen him as soon as she left the carriage, where she slept with Diana Crawford. She had been the first waking up, knowing Cudjo had spent the entire night outside, afraid someone might attack them.

She knew she should not insist, when he seemed to have returned to silence mode after everything that happened with Sambo. The female simply wanted him to be relaxed and feel better.

Occo decided to only approach him after she went to get some more fruits. She was glad no one seemed to be around to notice they were stealing fruits from the isolated plantation.

"Take this, Cudjo" she softly whispered, sitting next to him.

She was glad he accepted. Then again, they were hungry, of course. They did not have a proper meal for almost two days.

Slowly, she leaned to caress him, smiling as he seemed to accept her embrace. "Tell me what to do... You will sleep and I will drive this carriage" She pushed him to lay down, with his head on her lap