Chapter Seven

I sit down on the fallen branch that he had knocked down to carve some wood from and create a fire to warm me up while I wait for him.

I feel confused, one minute he's a psychopath, killing an entire family and the next he's going on a hunt to feed me whilst ensuring that I am warm enough. He's a paradox my heart is willing to solve yet my mind prevents me from hurting myself further. I had a massive wall around me built over a long time, I am yet to decide if he is worthy of my affections.

I bring my fingers to my mouth where he had kissed me in the car, fantasising about the next time he lets me taste those plump lips of his... I shake my head and wrap myself in the blanket he had provided me, tighter whilst rubbing my hands in front of the fire.

Footsteps crunch the leaves, informing me that he is here. He appears out of the dark, carrying a large bleeding deer on his back before throwing it at my feet. A provider.

"That was quick." I state, impressed by his hunting skills to find a deer in such an empty forest within minutes. Back home there'd be many deers in our forest however it would take our males an hour to track one and bring it down completely, the reason as to why females would mainly hunt rabbits to eat.

I see a hint of a proud smile before he hides it from my view. "Not hard when you train properly." I ignore the casual jab at my pack whilst he walks around the fire in nothing but a pair of cargos, shirtless for my eyes to take advantage of and lick my lips at both the meals in front of me.

He grabs something from his rucksack that he must've gotten from his car before. He treads back to the deer, crouching whilst taking a metal appliance and starts to cut into it, grabbing pieces of flesh and de-skinning it. I close my eyes from the rancid sight.

"You shouldn't be so disgusted at the sight of what is natural for us. We are wolves, we hunt, we butcher and cook our own meals."  He says whilst carving chunks of flesh out.

"I'm not disgusted... I'm just, discomforted at the sight of a lifeless animal. That's all."

He chuckles lightly. "You're too gentle, Althea. Although it's a beautiful feminine trait for a female, it could get you into trouble."

"Being gentle grants me compassion. Something I'd rather possess as a barrier from causing murders amongst innocent people." I hissed angrily.

His smile erases from his mouth completely and he peers into my eyes with blood dripping from his hand from the deer. Ironic.

"They had to die. You wouldn't understand because you have been brought up, sheltered from the true nature of us wolves. We are not sympathisers, we are survivers. Survivers of the fittest."

"We could've survived regardless of their death. I could have seen you in a different light if you hadn't killed in front of me the first time we had encountered."

"They would never have submitted! You saw the way that Alpha had regarded me. He showed no respect nor fear and if I hadn't killed his pregnant Luna then his pup nested in her womb would have tarnished our future once he had grown up as vengeance!" I cringe at the way he says our future.

"Why do you want all this power? Isn't having your Blood Moon pack enough? Why must you have disrupted the peace treaty which you had no intention on taking part in to declare yourself as an enemy to all?"

"And that, Althea,  is where you and I are different. I was born an Alpha, I have trained since I was a child to finally reclaim what is in my birth right, I cannot crave enough power. I cannot rest until all is mine. It is within my nature and the reason as to why your brother had targeted reconciliation and unity rather than domination is because he is weak. He is not meant to be an alpha. None of those males were. No true Alpha in their right mind would even imagine sharing the title with others. I am not this 'savage' monster you constantly refer to me as. I do not kill for pleasure but for survival of my- now our future. I am only acting on nature's intentions."