Chapter 2 - A turn of Events

Chapter 2

The next morning I woke up feeling groggy and incomplete. I put on my same blue overalls with a blue plaid shirt then sat down at the kitchen counter. It felt empty. I couldn't stop replaying what had happened in my mind. I didn't want to start pitying myself, it could have been worse. I took out my left over eggs from yesterday's breakfast and warmed the in the skillet. Max laid asleep on the floor. I sat down again staring at the wall in front of me. It was too quiet. I only took one bit until I felt full and left the house to go to the clinic.

It was the beginning of a rainy morning, so I didn't need to water my crops. The fast walk I started with turned into a run on my way down to the clinic. I busted open the door as if I ran a marathon and I was dying of thirst.

"Where is Cliff?" I said with a dark expression on my face

Elli was at the counter and she looked a bit frightened at my facial expression.

"Hold on, one moment." She said while walking toward the back with a frightened face.

I sat on one of the couches and started to play with my fingers and tap my foot. It felt like I was waiting forever. Elli finally came back with Trent also. Trent walked over to me

"Claire...." He said with a misleading face

"What?"

"I'm sorry..." he said looking down

"Sorry for what?" I said on the edge of my seat

"His heart stopped in the middle of the night..."

What do you mean?! It was only a pan hit!" by this time I was standing up

"'the pan hit, knocked some of his brain cells. I can only think that pain ate away at his nerves and he must've blanked out....forever. I'm surprised he lasted that long to be honest." Trent said softly

I covered my mouth and instantly started to cry. Elli and Trent brought me to the back where they already put a white sheet over him. I never cried so much before. I made the others in the clinic completely silent. All you could hear were my screams and cries throughout the building. I didn't get any sleep that night. I ended up crying that whole day.

The Following Day

The words get around quick in Mineral Town. That afternoon almost everyone in town were dressed in black for the funeral. The funeral was located outside of the church. The church was his favorite place. It began to rain again and it was lots of crying. By the time the funeral started I cried myself dry. All I could do was stand with a depressing face. Everyone in town looked so upset. Anna and duke were like family to Cliff. They cried the whole time. Kai was called from his other town by Mayor Thomas. Kai was one of Cliff's best friends. Of course, Ann sobbed the whole time while, Mary, Karen, and Popuri comforted her.

Rick and gray were asked to help bury cliff. You could tell they were trying their best to hold back tears. I went along to see him be buried. From my request, he was buried right alongside my mother's grave. I was able to start feeling tears again as they closed the casket and started to lower him in the ground.