Chapter 3

It was a Sunday. Today is the day where my dad has his meeting with the other angels. That's just what I'll call our kind. I don't know what the other's will think of it, but I like it.  Today everyone was acting strange though, like they were waiting for something to happen, but I felt completely normal. Who knows? Maybe the older angels are more intuitive. I only say this because I thought I heard dad talking about the adult angel's "second senses." Pretty cool, huh?  Well, anyway, back to the point.

Dad came home tonight with a weird look on his face. I even got a call from Brit telling me he was worried about how abnormal everyone was acting. I just told him it was nothing, but to my surprise he asked if he could come over. And he did.

When he got there, dad told us to go to my room and watch some TV or something, but to make sure and lock the windows and lock our doors. He also took what I thought were unnecessary measures to completely cover my windows and make sure they were locked.  Brit definitely thought this was strange too, but neither of us said anything until dad turned to us and nodded with a grim face.

"What was that all about?" Brit asked. I stared at the wall in silence trying to conjure a sensible answer.

"I have no clue, but I wouldn't think anything of it," I said. It was all I could think of.

"It just seems like they've been acting like this all day," he said. His brow furrowed in thought.

I nodded and flipped on the TV to MTV. Jersey Shore was on. Brit and I put all those thoughts in the back of our mind and spent 30 minutes laughing our butts off.

***

30 minutes later I heard a bang on the window. Fear swelled in my chest. I could tell Brit was tensing up, too. 

"What the hell?" I said. I leaned forward, but I didn't want to go to the window for fear that someone would be standing there waiting for me.

"Victoria, stay right here," I heard Brit say. I pulled the bowl of popcorn closer to my chest. To hide my emotions I stuffed a handful of popcorn into my mouth and chewed on it noncholantly-or so I thought.

Brit quickly lifted the towel off the window with a hilarious scary-movie look on his face that people get when they think things are going to jump out. I had to stuff more popcorn in my mouth to keep from laughing.

I heard him say something under his breath as he let the towel drop from his hand. 

"Everything okay?" I asked still trying not to laugh.

"Yes," he replied with a smug look on his face. He knew I was about to fall over laughing, but I didn't to save him of the embarassment.

About ten minutes later there was another bang coming from the window and then an ear bursting crash. This time it was absolutely not funny. Brit sprung from the bed and quickly slung the towel from the window. There was one of our kind, except her wings were black and her face was twisted into a sickly snarl.  She threw her head back and laughed. Her hands were spread open with little bolts of electricty forming in them. Before we had time to react she had completely engulfed us in a forcefield. I had tthought it would be electricity, but I suppose not.

I knocked on the side of the wall of the forcefield, but it hurt my hand.  I hadn't realized this, but both Brit's and my wings were out and fully exposed. This didn't matter now because I was shouting for that bitch to let us out, but she didn't hear me because the forcefield had blocked the noise.  I suddenly felt very tired, but before I was fully passed out I felt Brit's strong arm slip around my waist and we both collapse to the floor.

***

My eyes fluttered open slowly. When I awoke I noticed that the angel's face that had captured us earlier was just three inches from mine. My head flew up only to hit her's in the forehead. She yelped.

"Shit!" she screamed. Her hand flew to her face. Her hair swept over her hand. Her wings were still exposed, but they were folded against her back.

"Why did you capture us? Tell me everything," I demanded. I guestured over to where Brit was still passed out.  I think I know why everyone was acting so weird.

She chuckled. She was young, but she was at least 20.

"Nice to meet you, too. My name is Allie. Sorry we had to meet like this, but it's boss' orders.  Let me explain, your one of the more powerful families. Actually, you are the most powerful and we plan to use you for our good, but anyway, to the point, you guys foiled our plan. We had to take you AND your little friend hostage because you two were together. If you were by yourself we would have only had to get you, but the boy knows. We can't have that," she explained.

"Please let us go," I whimpered. I had nothing else to say.

In response, she spread her wings and pumped them a few times before she lifted off the ground, dust flying beneath her.

When she was gone I looked over to Brit who was now awake holding a piece of paper. It read, "Mealtimes, Rules, Back Story," I immediately felt like we needed to read this.

Dear Prisoners,

You are here because of a family fued that you can blame on your dad. I'm your Uncle, Samuel. About 50 years ago my mother and father had promised me their fortune becuase I was the oldest and already had 4 kids. Well, your stupid father had to step in and say that he needed it more because he was the poorest and that nobody would take me seriously because of my birth defect, having black wings. I rebelled against my family and started my own clan of angels, "The Dark Angels." These clan members are all of my MANY descendants. They all share my birth defect and all want to get what we deserve-a fortune. I want to use your powers-you have more than one-for my own good.

I gasped and dropped the letter.  I didn't bother to read the rules or the mealtimes. I was just so mad about my uncle's anger issue.

Brit snorted. I knew he couldn't believe Samuel had held a grudge this long. (Angels live a really long time, BTW). 

Then there was the fact that, apparently, I had more than one power. I knew I could play around with fire, but I never dreamed that I'd have more than one.

Brit and I never said anything to each other, but the expressions on our faces explained it all.

I only had about five minutes to think about this when I heard a whisper from the jail cell next door.

"Your new, right?" the little blond-headed angel asked.

"Yes, who are you? Are you a good angel?" I asked hesitantly.

"My name is Emily. I am a good angel," she said. She looked like she was either 12 or 13. She giggled and nodded towards Brit and said, "Who's that cute boy over there? If he's not already taken, I'd like to get to know him better."

I giggled, "That's Brit. He's my friend that was captured along with me." I glanced at Brit who was grinning like a fool and rubbing his leg. I think he hit it when he was in the forcefield.

Her blue eyes glanced over Brit before turning back to me,"I've got an escape planned."

************************

Picture of Allie on the side>>>>>>>>>>>