Chapter 1 - Rethinking

So I've decided to continue where Christopher Paolini left off and do my bit on how Eragon copes with training the new Riders, and add more in. I've thought about what would have happened, and decided that I wanted to write it down. I will update frequently.

The storyline belongs to me, however the beginning(Eragon training the new Riders) is built on what Paolini insinuated would happen. I also own most of the characters - other than Eragon, Saphira, everyone mentioned in the books. Enjoy!

Chapter one - Lost Memories

Eragon leapt up as a scream reached his sensitive, pointed ears. He ran over to where the sound was coming from as quickly as possible and frowned at the sight that lay before him.

Two of the youngest, newly found riders were messing around in the lake, soaking eachother in the clear blue water, rather than training. When the pair saw their master frowning at them, they quickly jumped onto the bank and bowed respectively.

"What are you doing?" Eragon asked in a bored tone. This was not the first time he had to talk to them.

"W-we were just taking a break, Master." The young human male replied. He had auburn hair and brown eyes, was tall and stealthy yet had the fighting power of a rock.

"You cannot afford to take a break, Byrrus. What if we were to be ambushed? What would you do?" Eragon asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I-I would fight, Master."

"Well you would not last very long, would you? See to it that you train for the remainder of the day. You too, Lucerna." He said, referring to the female human with long blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Yes, Master."

With that, Eragon walked away, no doubt back to his beloved forest to meditate, leaving the young Riders to sigh in relief.

"He's so grumpy," Byrrus moaned.

"He has a reason, Byrrus. Don't you remember what Presylana told us?" Lucerna asked.

"Should I?"

"You two should know better than to gossip about Master like that." A cracked voice scolded them. The two youngsters jumped and spun around, to be met with the kind eyes of Presylana, the first Rider Eragon ever trained. She was an elf and had long, white hair and kind green eyes. She was one of the oldest and wisest elves alive, yet she still bowed down to Eragon.

"But-"

"No buts, Lucerna. He is your master and deserves respect."

"But, Presylana, why is he so down all the time?" Byrrus asked.

"I have told you why, and I do not wish to repeat his story. It is his business and so we should not interrupt." With that, the old elf walked away, once again leaving the pair alone.

"Don't you remember his story, Luce?" Byrrus asked his close friend.

"Yes, I do. But I don't think now is the right time to be talking about it." She lowered her voice. "He's probably listening to our conversation right now."

Byrrus nodded, then whispered, "Later?"

Lucerna nodded. "Later."

Meanwhile, a single tear slid down Eragon's cheek as he remembered his past. Hearing the young Riders talk about him as if they cared warmed his heart, and the amount of respect Presylana showed towards him made him proud. But still he could not help but feel like no one cared - not after the way he was treated.

Do not cry, Little One. Saphira's voice echoed inside the Rider's head. He looked up and saw his dragon flying around above him.

The past is haunting me, Saphira. At this she stopped circling the trees and swooped down, landing next to him in the clearing.

Get on my back. She ordered. He complied and climbed onto her back. He was grateful that he wore his thick leather leggings today, which prevented the skin on his thighs from being ripped off as he was riding.

As soon as he was ready, she took off to the sky and the two connected mind and body, so that he could see as she did. They did this almost every time they rode together now; the way every dragon and Rider should.

The two looked down as one and saw almost all of the Riders looking up at them in awe. They did not know who it was that roared and spurted fire out of their mouth, nor did they know who it was that lifted their hand in greeting. All they knew was that they were one and they were inseperable; indestructable.

After around a quarter of an hour, dragon and Rider landed on the edge of a cliff. All they could see in the distance was mist; an infinite mist, forever waiting to be pierced.

What do you see, Little One? Saphira asked her Rider, who looked at her, confused.

I see mist. He replied.

No, Little One, look harder. What do you think is beyond the mist?

Eragon looked closer and searched for any other being with his mind. Finding none, he again looked at Saphira with confusion.

I don't understand. He admitted.

What I see is an infinite amount of possibilities, where anything could happen. Imagine the mist is the future; what we do see of it is cloudy, and we don't know what is going to happen until we are in the midst of it. So do not give up hope, Little One. Anything can happen. Her eyes twinkled as she said this, and he could not help but smile.

Thank you, Saphira. He said in the Ancient Language, to show how grateful he was. He then climbed once again onto her back and they took off, exploring the skies for a while before returning to Eragon's castle in time for the nightly meal.

While walking down to the banquet hall, Saphira commented on how well the pair of them had done at building the castle. They did not want it for selfish reasons; they wanted it so that they could house all of the new dragons and Riders under one roof. It certainly did that and more.

Upon arriving at the hall, all Riders stood and the dragons bowed their necks in respect. Eragon sat at the head of the long table and Saphira sat behind him, giving him a backdrop of shining blue scales.

Moments later Eragon and company were digging into a large, elven meal - no meat - while the dragons were busy eating large animals they had managed to catch.

"Master, we saw you riding today, and I must say you and Saphira look amazing together." One of the dwarf Riders, Parvus, complimented Eragon. Many others around the table made sounds of approval, and those who did not nodded.

"Thank you. I see that you and Fuscus are doing well." At the mention of his name, Parvus' brown dragon looked up and thanked Eragon telepathically.

The evening swept by quickly, with topics of discussion varying from fighting techniques to the best blacksmiths and finally to the fall of Galbatorix.

"Tell us again, Master!" The Riders pleaded. Eragon sighed and retold the story of the battle between the Varden and the Empire, and how it was he who destroyed the evil king Galbatorix. His voice caught slightly as he told them that he found one more Rider and dragon before he set off to train the new Riders, but left out who it was.

Karus, being a young human of just eight years, had not heard the story told by Eragon before; she had only arrived at the castle a week or so ago. And so she asked,

"What happened to the Rider you found? Why aren't they here?" The other Riders gasped - they had heard rumours of this mysterious Rider and its dragon, and knew not to ask their master about it.

However Eragon was not phased; or so it seemed. He looked at the young girl and smiled. "Because she was the princess of her race, and her mother was killed during the battle of Urû'baen, so she had to look after her people."

Karus nodded and Eragon rose. "I am going to retire for the night. I will see you in the morning." He nodded at Saphira, who followed him out the door and to his master bedroom on the top floor.

What you did was brave, Saphira told him. He snorted.

She wouldn't think that. With that, he lay on his large bed and rolled over to sleep.

I wouldn't be so sure. Saphira countered, closing her eyes and coiling around the bed. The two lay together, enjoying the others' company, until sleep got ahold of them and they fell under.