Chapter 3

At the brown mahogany dinner table sat three plates layered with pancakes. After eating the syrup covered stacks we walked down the street to Drakes house where the lights were still off.

He knocked on the gray door.

Nothing.

Tapped the windows.

Silence.

Tried the back door.

Zilch.

He turned around with a shrug, "Well."

"Well," I repeated. "Back to my house I guess."

Max and Drake shrugged, turning around to walk back. Max left not long after we got back so Drake and me decided we'd go for a walk.

I put some candy, a bottle of tea, a package of fudge pop-tarts, and two small bags of nacho cheese Doritos before we left. We walked without any real destination and ended up in an empty field surrounded by bushes and trees.

Soon enough the tea was gone, as well as the pop-tarts and the chips and most of the candy.

It's kind if amazing ya know. Not how much food we ate, but the fact that a week ago he sulked through the hallways dreading everyday he had to wake up in his own home and now here he is. Smiling and laughing. With me. It's just astonishing that two people, Max and me, got this depressed kid to smile and laugh. This silent kid to talk and joke, but yet I'm still not satisfied. I still feel like.. like there's still something I need to do...

After clearing my head I looked around the field and found a football stuck under a bush. I pulled it out and threw it, watching the ball as it spiraled into Drakes hands. We threw it back and fourth, running to catch it until we were exhausted.

We lied in the in the grass for a while silently. I looked over at Drake who was staring into the stars, mesmerized. He lifted his arm pointing at them and said, "There's the Big Dipper. " Turning his head to look at me, he put his arm down slowly. For a few minutes the only sound I heard was my heart pounding as I looked into his beautiful crystal blue eyes that looked right back at me. His head slowly started moving in my direction, closer and closer as he closed his eyes.

I pulled a few candies from my bag in a panic, "Want one?" I asked awkwardly.

With a cough he flipped his hair and offered his hand, "Sure."

We both stuck a war head in our mouths and laughed at each others faces.

As much as I tried, I couldn't stop thinking about when he tried to kiss me.

He probably thinks I don't like him like that now. Well I don't. Do I? I don't know.. Maybe that's not been what he was doing.

It was already nine thirty and we were still laying in the grass on our backs, our hands laying open right next to each other. I felt tempted to try and hold his hand, but decided against it. For another hour or so we layed there without a word.

The walk back was quiet too. We were probably thinking about the same thing.. What if he tries again...?

I shook my head, rejecting the thought.

We're just friends. Friends.. Why does that not feel right?..

I lose my train of thought at the realization that Drake is looking at me, probably wondering what the hell I'm thinking about or why I'm acting like a total zombie. He poked my face and I flinched, laughing. He laughed too, flipping his hair, "Just making sure you were okay." I nodded, "Yeah. Just zoned out a little." I smiled.

When we got to his drive way we stopped, looking at each other and shrugged, turning down the gravel path. As we neared the door we could hear glass shattering, yelling, thuds, smacks, and bangs against the doors as walls. I guess his mom is home..

He winces as he opens the door at what he might see, but slowly opens his eyes when nothing happens.

As soon as both of his eyes open, SMASH! A cup hits him right in the middle of his forehead and his face goes blank, he turns around, grabs my hand, and drags me down the driveway, towards my house.

We walked down the street with music playing, and swinging our intertwined hands back and fourth. Our feet moved in step with one another to the beat of Last Resort by Papa Roach.

When the song ended it was replaced with Gotta be Somebody by Nickelback.

When we finally reached my door the song was just ending. I didn't want to go inside and I guess Drake didn't want to leave so we just stood there and looked at each other by the door. We didn't say anything until the song was over Drake said quietly looking up from his shoes, "Maybe... there is somebody.." He leaned forward, gently grabbing my forearm and closing his eyes as our lips touched. My eyes widened with surprise, but fell shut.

Moments later my mom opened the door, dropping her jaw and raising her eyebrows as I pulled away quickly. I opened my mouth to explain with a red face, but nothing came out. What was I suppose to say? "He did it!!" I think not.