Chapter 11 - The First Date

Natasha eyed herself in Laura's full length mirror for at least the third time in the last two minutes. She ran her hands over the fabric on her dress straightening it out.

"That's the right one," Laura chimed in. "Definitely. I think you're going to drive him crazy in that dress."

Natasha smiled at Laura in the mirror reflection. "Well I give you all the credit for the idea." She took a look at her makeup and hair. "Do you think the hair is too much though?"

"No," Laura answered, getting up from her bed and walking over to check the pins in Natasha's hair. "I think normal hair might not go with the dress. It just needs one more thing, I think..." Laura took a look at her watch and then ran off. "We're running out of time," she yelled from the hallway.

"There's no way he'll be late, either!" Natasha yelled back.

Natasha was pleased with her dress, a navy blue vintage-looking number with a sweetheart neckline and a full skirt. It had a small polka dot pattern that was only noticeable up close. When she and Laura went through all the clothes she had with her and then also all the dresses in Laura's closet, they quickly realized a shopping trip was in order. They had headed out to a town with a few dress shops around lunchtime and it took longer than they'd expected, especially adding in their travel time. Now time was running out before Steve would arrive. Natasha looked down at her new shoes and inspected them; silver peep toe heels with an ankle strap. While they were shopping, Laura had the brilliant idea that Steve might enjoy Natasha wearing a retro dress and Natasha agreed.

Laura dashed back into the room excitedly and started pinning a white flower behind Natasha's ear. "Oh that is perfect!" Natasha exclaimed.

"I knew this was in Lila's room somewhere." Laura stepped back to take a look. "Ohhhh, Nat.... you look so great! I feel like I'm living vicariously through you!" She giggled.

"Awww, you and Clint have a great relationship," Natasha said reassuringly.

"Of course... but there's nothing like a new relationship." Laura smiled, she was genuinely happy to see Natasha like this. "Give me a hug."

"I have little butterflies," Natasha admitted. "That's ridiculous."

Just then, they heard a knock at the front door. Then they could hear men's voices and Natasha shuddered a little when she thought about what Clint might be saying to Steve.

"I better get down there before Clint gives him the business," Laura started to walk away. She turned back and said "Take your time coming down, make him wait a minute."

Natasha took a quick look through the miniature red purse she was carrying and grabbed her little white sweater. She stood at the bedroom doorway and counted to ten, then started walking slowly downstairs. The slowly part was as much about making him wait as it was about walking carefully in her new heels.

As she neared the bottom of the stairs, she saw him. Oh, wow...

Steve was wearing a light gray suit with a crisp white shirt underneath. He was holding a bouquet of very large, gorgeous sunflowers. Natasha was impressed and considered herself wooed. But the cherry on top was Steve's hair, which was pushed to the side like when she first met him... and it looked as if he'd added some gel. He'd shaved his beard off as well. He'd definitely put some effort in.

He walked towards her with his arms out for a hug and he kissed her on the cheek as a quick greeting. "Nat, these are for you," he said as he handed her the sunflowers. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks, Steve. That was very sweet," she glanced at the giant flowers. "You look great." She subconsciously felt her smile was bigger than it should be.