Chapter 7: A True New Friend

My father is dead.

Truly dead and there’s nothing i can do. I am now truly alone in this world, no mother, no father, no relatives. All I have left now is myself and nothing more. I am just overwhelmed with such a depression; sure I’ve experienced it before but nothing like this. Still in shock, with blurred vision I make my way to the door. Then it hit me, when Mal said I had already paid the price; She must have meant my father dying. My depression quickly changed into anger, I can't believe that she would do this. The death of my father isn’t worth some stupid power in my book, but then again she said we don’t matter to her very much. When I get my hands on the two of them........

Suddenly I realized I wasn’t on my crutches anymore, I was actually walking! The power they granted me must have healed me or something; at least something good came out of this. I pulled out my phone and checked the time; it was 7:15, I still had some time to catch the bus. I just need something to take my mind off of the recent events and of course I hate doing make up work. I don’t have very much time so I guess I better leg it. As soon as I began to make a run for it darkness came from within me, swirled around me and swooped me off the ground. I was only about 5 ft off the ground but I was going way faster than I would on the ground, I could get used to this. Still I just can't really enjoy it knowing my father died for this. I continued to glide through the air and in no time I made it to my bus stop with 6 minutes to spare. I sat down and realized how sleepy I was since I nearly went out cold when I touched the bench. I couldn’t bear the weight of my eyelids and so I slept.

Not even a minute passed and some kid woke me up. I’ve never seen him before, I thought I was the only one that got picked up at this stop, guess he must be new. I slowly but surely got up, getting used to the light. After what seemed like forever my vision returned to normal and I entered the bus to the sound of an angry bus driver yelling “Hurry up kid!". I quickly took a seat in the middle of the bus carefully, hoping I wouldn’t go out cold. Thankfully I didn’t. I realized that the kid that woke me up was sitting in the seat to my right. He looked to be about my height and he was wearing a pair of glasses. He had on a pair of jeans and was wearing a t-shirt with some sort of orange pony. He quickly noticed I was staring at his t-shirt and threw me a glare.

" Problem?," he asked in a British accent. "No not at all," I replied. I’m not the kind of person to judge, he can wear whatever he wants. “ So are you new here or something?," I asked changing the subject. “Yeah I just moved here from Dallas actually. Its actually not too different form here", he replied. "Ah ok, so why'd you move over here?" “Well my dad got a job here and also because were closer to our family". The mention of the word family quickly filled me with dread. “Are you alright?", he asked. I noticed I was making a face and quickly changed my expression." Yeah, never been better". " So whats your name, I’m Drew. Drew Castill". “The names Nolan, nice to meet you". "If you don’t mind, could you maybe show me around school when we get there since I’m new and all.", he asked. I figured he would ask that eventually." No problem we'll do that before class starts, so do you have your schedule on you?", I asked. "Yeah I do.....its somewhere in my binder". After a minute of rummaging through his binder he handed me a wrinkled sheet of paper. "Well looks like I have you for two classes and I know where all of these are so you'll be used to Jameson High quickly". " Oh really, well thats great. Thanks for offering to show me around", Nolan replied. We continued to chatter for a while about our hobbies, interests, and all the idiots at school. I could see the school in the distance, after this red light passes well be there. " That’s the school over there Nolan", I said pointing at it. " Looks the same as my old school but hopefully it'll be-"

Suddenly a bus crashed into the cement truck next to us, causing the cement load to fall and hurl straight toward our bus at high speed. Without a second to react it hit the left side of the bus.