Chapter Four - Professor Rowen

Ash's POV

I open my eyes and stare at the blank ceiling with my alarm ringing soundly beside me, a feeling of déjà vu. I hesitate, thinking about whether I should go to school today, but realise that I can't run away from it forever. 

I roll out of bed and began preparing myself for school. I ate a simple sandwich for breakfast before picking up my backpack as I head out. Each step grows heavier as I got closer to the school, am I developing  didaskaleinophobia?

"Hopefully I won't bump int-"

Crash! A familiar blue-haired girl suddenly collides into me as I make a right turn. I find myself face plant on the floor but I quickly pick myself up and extend my hand to offer the girl help, though I doubt she'd accept assistance from me.

"H-Hey, are you alright? M-My sincerest apologies, I wasn't looking forward."

"No need to worry! I was the one at fault, no need to apologise!"

Her voice sounds familiar. I gather up enough courage to look at her face and it is her. The girl who's the reason why I skipped out on school yesterday. Unconsciously, I pull back my hand that I extended to help her which cause her to glance up at me. 

From her facial expression, I can tell that she also recognises me. We both remain speechless until I decide to run away and began sprinting to school. I wonder what's gotten into me? I acted in such a disrespectful manner to her once again.

Dawn's POV

I pick myself up and stare at Ash until he disappears from sight. I clearly should've been the one to apologise this time, not him. Why don't the words in my mouth come out properly whenever I'm speaking with him? 

I dust my skirt and continue my way to school. How can I live up to the principal's expectation if I wasn't even able to start a conversation with him normally. Am I really the best choice for his favour?

I want to befriend him and fulfil the role which principal has entrusted to me in my head but my actions say otherwise. I feel like my mind and body split into two.

Time Skip - At School

I was greeted by my best friend, May, with a large grin on her face as usual after arriving at school. Somehow, my worries always seems so small after seeing her.

"Morning Dawn!"

"Good morning May." I reply with my signature smile.

We slowly made our way into the school building together. Our first class is mathematics, May's least favourite lesson. She begins her non-stop complaints of the class as I chuckle in response. 

After arriving to class, I dump my backpack on my seat before asking May to notify the teacher that I will be with the principal for this lesson. She questions me about it but I tell her it's confidential. Despite appearing clingy, May respects that I have my own secrets that I prefer keeping to myself which is one of her many good qualities that I love. Therefore, instead of continuing to interrogate me, she jokes about how lucky I am. May always puts a smile on my face, no matter how I'm feeling. I brace myself before making my way to the principal's office. 

"No need to worry Dawn, you'll be fine." I whisper to myself.

Ash's POV

My thoughts is still full with the argument I had with her yesterday that I forgotten that I have yet to find the principal's office. Most students is already preparing for their first lesson to start therefore the corridors are empty and I'm able to relax slightly more. I continue wandering around but still no luck. I sigh and look up to unexpectedly find a wooden plaque that directs me to the principal's office. 

I feel foolish for not noticing the plaques before. I normally look down at my feet as I walk, perhaps that's the reason why. If I held my head up high then I would've found it yesterday and avoided causing commotion.

I begin following the plaques and eventually arrive in front of the principal's office. The door's style feels different from the rest of the school's interior design, it gives off an eerie atmosphere.

I take a deep breath before knocking on the door.

..........

No answer. Before I had time to knock again, the door suddenly opens. A large man with a tiny moustache and white hair appear behind the door and invites me inside.

"H-Hello, I'm Ash Ketchum." 

I gulp as he glares at me. Seconds later, he breaks into into a large smile.

"Haha! Of course! I've been expecting you since yesterday."

He has an extremely deep and stern voice yet I'm not intimidated at all. Perhaps it's because of his manner of speech?

"M-My sincerest apologies f-for not arriving yesterday! M-Many things happened and I-"

"I understand boy, you needn't be so formal!"

Compared to all my previous teachers, he sounds almost welcoming! I was always given a dirty look but he's completely different, as if he wants me here. Perhaps this school isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's been quite awhile since I last had a normal conversation with someone. The principal walks to his desk to pick up a few items and hands them to me.

"Here's your student ID and schedule. I've also arranged a guide for you who'll arrive shortly. They'll accompany you for the first two weeks of your time in this school to help you settle in."

I thank him after taking my student ID and lesson schedule. However, wouldn't I cause trouble for the guide? Do I really need one?

"S-Sir! About the guid-" He answers before I'm able to finish my question, almost as if he was able to read my mind, and gives me a comforting smile.

"I understand your worries but it'll definitely be fine. Trust me." 

I nod and decide to believe in him. Despite this being our first meeting, I feel like he's someone I can trust. No, someone I want to trust.

"Ah! How rude of me, I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm the Principal of Sinnoh High School, Professor Rowen."

"I'll be in your care, Professor Rowen." I reply with a bow.

After our introductions, someone knocks on the door and Professor Rowen went ahead to answer it. Despite trusting him, I'm still nervous about meeting them. I hear the door open and the principal invites them in.

"Ash, your guide for the upcoming two weeks is......"