Chapter Twenty Two - May's Perturbation

Dawn's POV

"Huh? It's just a brat. I got all worked up for no reason." Jessie sighs.

"How should we deal with her?" James question.

"It'll be troublesome if our whereabouts are leaked out, we have no choice but to bring her along with us to the headquarters." Jessie replies, peering at me.

"Roger!"

He quickly grabs my wrist before I can escape and call for help. Though even if I yell my loudest, there won't be anyone who's close enough to hear my plead and it'll only cause them to become more alert. I attempt to struggle out of his grasp but it causes James to take out a heated knife, the colour of scorching red. He presses the knife onto my wrist and I shriek as it burns my skin.

"I wouldn't try anything funny if I were you." He snarls.

The pain remains even after removing the knife from my wrist, is there any hope of me escaping? What would Ash do if he was in my situation? All of a sudden, the back door behind me slam open and two familiar figures appear.

"M-May? And Misty?" I stutter.

Both of them are armed with baseball bats; May's even wearing a metallic bucket for head protection. Despite my current circumstances, it's difficult to hold in my laughter. I notice that James' grip loosens and I took this opportunity to break free. I bite his hand, causing him to completely release my wrist. I genuflect down and slide tackle him.

"Ow!" He screech.

I glare at Jessie while altering my stance, signifying that I'm ready to take her on. She flinch and studies her partner, James, who's laying immobilised beside me.

"H-Help..." James croak.

To his dismay, Jessie deserts him. She runs out of the kitchen and exits the store through the front door. May and Misty is about to chase after her but I block them off before they could, shaking my head. I pull James up and Misty ties his hands behind his back, preventing him from escape.

I shift my attention towards Misty and May after ensuring James cannot break free.

"Why did you two follow me!? Do you understand how dangerous it would've been if we were all caught?" I try to sound as intimidating as I can.

I realise that the burn from the heated knife is extremely vibrant, hence I try to hide my left wrist from them.

"It's your fault for coming here without discussing it with us to begin with! You should be thankful we turned up! Otherwise, who knows where you'll be right now?" Misty argues back.

"I-I'm sorry for the trouble I've caused... And thank you for coming to save me."

I meant this from the bottom of my heart. The fact that the two of them knew I'm here and saved me from danger is something that I'll remember forever.

Misty glances at May, who's unusually quiet.

"Aww, Dawny's admitting she's wrong and apologising to us! Let's forgive her, May!" Misty winks, lifting up the mood.

May only nods as an answer. I awkwardly smile before asking how they knew I was here.

"We just understand you too well." Misty replies.

May remains silent and I began to take hold of James' rope before guiding him to the door.

"It'll soon be morning if we don't leave soon. The two of you should head home first, I'll bring James to the police station myself." I smile, extending my hand to open the door but an unpleasant tingling sensation runs through me as I place strength in my arm.