Chapter 7: The Changeling

The ambulance arrived at the apartment thirteen minutes later and they wheeled Sling off in the van.At the hospital a committee of police asked me different question about Sling's diet and lifestyle.

I told them that Sling lived in a low grade apartment and I noticed that he had a few beer bottles lying on the floor of his room.I gave the knife to the police to inspect and make sure the blood stains on it were from Conroy.

I wanted to stay with Sling at the hospital but the doctors advised me not to because they thought he might need to be quarantined.
The lead investigation officer gave me his number and said he would call when they finished analyzing the blood on the knife.

I drove alone home with a head full of thoughts about what I was going to tell Tammy and what I would keep secret.I eventually just decided to tell her that I toke the knife to the police and they said it was a different knife.I also choose to say that I just had a little bro talk with Sling and that we were friends again.

Tammy dug her nails into Chi's head and he growled but then Tammy stopped and said
"That's nice babe come sit down with me and watch TV."
I didn't want her to see the news because they might have Sling on it and what happened.
"No baby how about we have dinner outside tonight" I said trying to get her away from any local news.

"Dinner outside what about the bugs?" Tammy asked making an excuse.
"They won't bother us come on and bring Chi."
I ran out the backdoor and ushered Tammy outside with me.I pulled up a chair for her and she sat down.
"I'll go make some sandwiches, what kind do you want?" I offered.
"Tuna" Tammy called back.

I scampered into the house and to the kitchen where my pocket vibrated and I answered my phone.
"Hello this is Flare?"
"Hello Mr. Logan I'm officer McMaggie of the police department and I was calling about that knife your turned in."
"Yes what about it?"
"Well it seems that the blood on the blade was not from Conroy's body but from a woman named Szander Chimes head vein."

"Head vein?"
"Yes sir and with the fingerprint scans in the knife handle excluding yours, we concluded that the woman also suffered from arthritis."
An idea popped into my head but I wouldn't take up the possiblity until I got more proof.
"Did the knife have any residue on it as well?"
"In fact it did, some sort of mold bacteria that is only found in buildings built in the nineteen sixties."

The idea became reality in a flash and I needed to work twice as quick as it.
"Excuse me officer but what's the name of the woman who runs Ophelia's Lodge in town?"
"Ophelia Flotus, why?"
"I believe I saw Szander at the front desk of the hotel today when I visited Sling."
The other end of the line was silent.

"Hello?" I muttered.
"Um yeah sorry sir it's just that Mrs.Chimes is an escaped criminal wanted for murder."
"Oh my God."
"Are you absolutely sure the description matches woman you saw?"
"Yes I am."
"Sir we'll begin the manhunt for this woman immediately in the meantime lock down your house and get everybody inside."

"What do I do while we're inside?"
"Just wait a couple of minutes while I send a dispatch officer to your residence."
"Thank you officer, goodbye."

I slammed down the phone and sprinted outside.Tammy was gone and her chair was toppled over with a few blood sprinkles on it.
"Tammy!" I yelled very panicked.
"Flare she's got me!" I heard Tammy scream from the woods.