Chapter 8: Changes

AZURA

Time isn't fair to anyone. You could be the best person all year and still face the hurdle you never thought of. You could lead a multinational company a day and go bankrupt the next. Time doesn't feign kindness to any individual and just does what it's supposed to; go by. But if you start seeing from the other side, every life consists of miracles. You could be begging for something one day and the next you find out that you had enough resources to get whatever you need. It doesn't matter if you'd been on a killing spree, if you're supposed to find redemption, you will. Time takes you to it. It's the default benevolence time exerts. It makes one think that time, like humans, is capable for both the goodness and the worst. Or maybe, it's only a medium we all hang on to so that we could do what we're supposed to, passing by our lives in ways that we can.

*'*'*

I couldn't sleep. Rose and Ethan had stayed the night and so Ethan and Mason piled in with Max while Rose slept in my room. Rose and I were exhausted as we met everyone and mom decided it best to ask the boys to fix us some milk tea which would definitely help us relax. After that, everyone crashed the moment their heads hit the pillows. But I couldn't sleep.

She might just be the one to heal you.

Addison's words kept repeating in my mind. What was it that I could heal? What had been so wounding that it needed healing? And if I were to do it, what made her so sure that I would? And why would she suggest that in the first place?

You're smitten, brother.

I groaned as that statement flashed in my head. Was this really how I could help him? Was there no other way for me to handle the scars than be emotionally attached? But if I had to admit, I liked the thought of it. The way a blue lining outlined his eyeballs when his eyes shined gave me tingles. I wouldn't mind staring at those eyes every day.

I shook my head, pulling myself out of my thoughts. I wasn't supposed to be distracted by those emerald eyes. Nor by the sparkles of light that reflected on those irises. And when the bright sun rays zoomed in on them, I wasn't supposed to be distracted with the way they glittered like a jewel, a mini treasure cooped up in the white sand.

I shook my head again, disappointed in myself. Was I never going to reach across those eyes to something important? Was the ball of jade colored ocean too much for me to handle? Or was it the brightness that had me wrapped around in its orb which made me unable to think further than it?

I groaned, realizing I had once again been strayed from my initial thoughts. It was going to be a long night.

Sighing I moved, lying on my right side facing the wall as my back faced Rose's. I remembered about the book that had those weird two lines and a feeling of uneasiness filled my body.

It was only early dusk by now and I had to get up at six. I felt like roaring at the moment but I stopped, remembering how my head got bruised when Rose hit me with a table lamp thinking I was a thief the last time she had slept over. She was a light sleeper and an extremely grumpy one.

"Stop moving and go to sleep. We have school tomorrow." I heard Rose growl from behind and quickly swallowed, feeling guilty for disturbing her. She was scary when she was sleepy. Otherwise she could be as sweet as cotton candy.

I closed my eyes hoping I'd be able to catch a blink now that I'd been warned but it didn't work. I was still worried for Mason because one day of relief didn't solve the problems. I kept wondering about the diary and the quote or poem it held. What did it mean and how come every other page was blank? And what wounds had Jack faced which made Addison conclude I could heal him?