Chapter 13: Out Shadow

AZURA

Life always throws a situation in your way which makes you question whether what you're currently doing is better or should you choose the alternative? It is never easy to make a choice, especially when you have made close companions along the journey. You watch, listen, or think about them in every step. But then you make a choice that could either destroy you or mold you for the better, no matter your belief. Fate plays its way with you like that. One way or another, however you fight, at the end what is meant to happen always does.

*'*'*

Maybe it was my weakness or maybe my stupidity for a soft heart but I couldn't lock it away, I couldn't bear anyone hurt,even more so, if I was the cause of it.In this particular situation, I was confused. I knew I had done nothing wrong, even when I doubted myself for that. It could be anything that made him hurt, enough to make him feel the need to leave.But there was a high chance that I was, in a way, responsible for it. Even when I didn't intend to be, I already was.And the worst part was that I couldn't have done anything to prevent it or make it right because I didn't know the reason.

It hurt me that he wouldn't talk to me about it first. That he did not trust me enough to shed light on my mistake.Maybe I could have helped him understand my intentions. Maybe I could have cleared out his doubt or misunderstanding.

He had become such a good friend of mine and not only mine but of others as well. If anything, I wanted him to trust me enough so that he could talk to me if there was something troublesome around him. But that didn't seem to be the case.

"I have to leave." He pleaded to Addison begging for her to understand. She had a crestfallen expression plastered to which I related very well. I watched in bated breath hoping that he was talking about something else. But I couldn't keep myself in the dark. Not when I had heard most of the conversation.

When he had walked away, I realized right then that something must have gone horribly wrong for him, hence the sudden change in his attitude. I followed him in a hope that I would be able to ease up his stress. This was not what I had expected.

"Why? Was it something I did? Did I offend you or hurt you? Was it because I punched you?" I blurted out in a panicked voice. I hadn't meant to eavesdrop or butt in however my mind wasn't doing any favors for me. My subconscious kept kicking in trying to back me off but it was too late. I had already marched in the classroom.

It was a blow in the stomach when he said I didn't matter. Maybe it wouldn't have hurt this much if he had spoken those words close after he joined the school. I had thought we had become friends, great friends. Sure, I had closed off when I caged myself with the book, Guide, but I tried my best not to offend Jack. He was the only exception I had to make me connect back to the outside world.

He turned around taking deep breaths as my eyes met those electric green ones that always managed to hold me captive. My heart was clenching at the astonished look. He had taken a cautious step back that made me halt my step.

I could see how he was having an internal debate.He wanted to leave but he didn't want to run away from what we had established. I could clearly see past those stormy eyes how he absolutely loathed my presence because it made his decision that much harder. It was enough proof to contradict his statement about none mattering to him.

My heart thudded against my chest as I waited for this hurricane to pass. And before his battle could convince him any further, I spoke again. "Please tell me, are you hurt because of me? Because, if that's true then I'm sorry. I really am sorry for anything I have done."

He blinked, once, twice. Open and close. It repeated several times but he didn't grace me with a response. The doubt and regret in his eyes shattered me. It was tearing my heart into small fragments to see him like that. I knew it was very selfish of me to want him to stay and I couldn't just throw the party risk at his face every time he tried to distance himself. Maybe I just wanted to understand his reasons better.