Chapter 31: We'll Get Through It

AZURA

World, no, the universe is a constant state of revolution. But if we talk about our world, it changes a life every day. In a matter of hours or days or months or even years, every being alive is bound to revolutionize. The difference resides in our stories. Some may hold impossibly confusing circumstances while others might spiral around with crystal clear twists. However, it should be known that a tale doesn't revolve around one person. It circles around thousands of souls before them and hundreds of souls around them. And as a result, it forges an epic tale.

*'*'*

"Carina! I remember." My mother whispered as she hugged the oak-green eyed woman. It didn't take me long to realize who she was yet it amazed me to see how this was our first meeting ever since we moved to Dolphin Square. Mrs. Lennon was astonished, to say the least, when my mother suddenly embraced her. But after her whisper, she was bestowed a response.

I realized that it was her ancestral memories she was talking about but it was still new for me and it was bizarre to watch this exchange. A part of me was glad that there was another parental figure—who I knew about—around to understand this mess. I knew Rigel came under the same category but unlike him, Carina was here on Earth.

"How are you?" She gave me a sad smile as she came towards me, bending down and kissing my temple. I nodded at her, giving her a tight smile as she sat down beside my mom, reciprocating my action before turning towards the woman on her right.

"When did you remember?" She asked bewildered still.

"Not too long ago, really." Mom hung her head in shame; it tore me to see her blame herself. She wasn't supposed to be the one to feel this, I was. To see my mother so helpless was the worst of my days when my dad died. Now, the history was repeating itself and I wanted nothing more than to punish myself.

I knew I had the power; the tree which erupted in fire was a proof of that. Only, I didn't have access to it. I didn't know how to control it and that made me want to punch walls or pull my hair. My fingers itched for some sort of action but I didn't want to draw attention to myself by doing abnormal things.

"What about the funeral?" I blurted out and saw the terror cross on my mother's face. Even Mrs. Lennon was shaken and for a moment I almost backed away, praying for them to continue their previous conversation. It wasn't pleasant but at least it was better than the thickening air that kept filling with tension while no one uttered a word.

"We can't draw attention to ourselves. It's too complicated to fabricate it with a fake story. The police and the doctors might've calmed down but I don't think they fully believe us." Mrs. Lennon spoke quietly, as if afraid of over stepping. But she was right. We couldn't showcase something we were unable to explain without exposing the truth. It would be too dangerous than it already was. Besides, it would be hard for others to believe it anyway and as a result it would get more eyes on us, becoming hurdles and hostages.

"But Max deserves a funeral." A lump formed in my throat, breaking my voice. I swallowed it, asking God for courage and continued. "We will just have a gathering between us; those who know the truth. I won't let my family's death just pass by." I was surprised at myself. There was determination that held my tongue. But I couldn't ignore the rage, the hatred and the numbness that came with it. I was afraid of what it would do to me but looking at the broken smile my mother gave me with shattered eyes made me strong. It was as if I could feel the strength enveloping me; even if there was stoniness at the catch.

In a matter of days, I was discharged and a week later to that we scheduled Max's funeral. It wasn't a big gathering, just like we wanted and only people who really knew Max had arrived. Yet a face was missing. So, I asked Gabriella to handle the house since I didn't want to make a fuss and grabbed Rose to drive me to Mason's house. I had my car, yes, but currently I didn't have it in me to control the wheel when I couldn't even control myself.