Marks

"Dad, I'm scared."

Will Herondale knelt beside his son as he stared at the skin on his arm.

"James, you are from one of the strongest Shadowhunter families in history. You have nothing to fear."

"Were you scared?"

Will smiled crookedly as Brother Zachariah entered the room.

"Of course not. Now James here..."

'Did not even flinch, unlike your father.'

"Carstairs, you traitor!"

"What about Mother? What if I'm like her?" Jamie whispered as Will placed a hand on his head.

'Shadowhunter blood is always dominant. Tessa...Tessa is a unique case.'

Zachariah took the boy's arm and held the stele towards the skin, his dark hair falling across his eyes.

'James Herondale, do you accept these Marks which I am about to place upon your skin?'

"Y-Yes. I do accept them."

'Then let us begin, before your father loses his nerve.' Zachariah teased lightly, his hand moving across the stele to form the first rune.

James watched in fascination as the first rune prickled lightly onto his skin, marking him as a true Shadowhunter.

His heart pounded as Zachariah paused for a moment, his head tilted in silent thought.

'You are not like Tessa.' He assured James after a few tense moments, 'Your skin bears Marks.'

"What does it mean, James?"

Zachariah turned his thoughts to Will alone and stated calmly,

'He is mortal.'

Will let out a shaky breath and nodded once as Zachariah turned his attention back to Jamie.

'Do not fear, Will Herondale. She will never be alone.'

Zachariah knew that Tessa's immortality was a cause of heartbreak for the pair, because Will was certainly not immortal, and now, it seemed, neither were her beloved children.

"Time heals." Will muttered.

'How we know that well.'

The former parabatai seemed to stare at each across a great chasm as Tessa herself walked into congratulate her son.

"You will watch over her? Over them?" Will asked.

"Always."