Those We Cherish

Zachariah had watched over the protection ceremony of each Herondale child since the birth of James Herondale, but today was two other  families, no less dear to his heart.

The Carstairs family; his own blood and the Blackthorn family; Herondale blood.

The baby in the arms of her mother had golden hair, and a fearsome scowl that brought a faint smile to Zachariah's silent lips.

Emma Cordelia Carstairs.

The mention of his beloved Cordelia, for whom the child and her mother were named, brought memories of a bright, Persian woman.

And, of course, memories of Will, James and Lucie Herondale.

These beloved Herondales.

Lucie Herondale Blackthorn had once penned a novel on Cordelia Carstairs Herondale, titled The Beautiful Cordelia.

And Cordelia had been the joy of the Carstairs family, the joy of the Herondale family.

Now her name lived on in the descendants of her brother; Alistair.

The boy was Julian Blackthorn, and his hand was extended towards Emma in his bundle of blankets.

'A close bond.' Zachariah had observed as the parents smiled proudly.

The baby, Emma, grabbed Zachariah's finger as he performed the rites. He thought of the Herondale children who had done likewise over the decades.

Once they had gone, the Brothers gathered under the Sword.

'You forget your place.' Brother Enoch admonished, 'We do not dwell on our human ties, Brother Zachariah.'

'Perhaps others would fear us less,' Brother Zachariah replied without turning towards him, 'if we allowed ourselves to be human.'

'You were always more human than us. For years we heard only four names, and now we hear one. You almost broke sacred vows handed down by David, the first Silent Brother, and parabatai of Johnathan Shadowhunter, for your human ties.'

'Did David ever stop loving his blood brother despite becoming a Silent Brother?  The bond of a parabatai stretches beyond vows. My soul is still tied to that of mine, and he is long gone.'

Enoch fell silent.

'You remind us of our humanity. For centuries we had forgotten, but you have given us a renewed sense of purpose.' Brother Micah said finally.

'I am glad my suffering has provided you with purpose. Perhaps it makes it worthwhile.'

Brother Micah allowed a rare smile.

'You are a wise man, Zachariah. I hope you will be reunited with those you love, in time. I fear you have a long journey ahead of you these nights, but your Brothers will stand with you, for we are one voice. In life and death, we stand together, Shadowhunters once more.'

Brother Enoch sighed and looked away as Jem's mind allowed itself a glimpse of his past.

'In life and death.' He agreed.