Chapter 20 ~ A Jorgenson Wedding

Two more moon cycles flew by rapidly, and finally, the morning of my own wedding came to light. The rehearsal dinner had been quaint and uneventful, a simple run through of what would actually occur the following evening. It was the day of the summer solstice, the sunset looking like fire on the horizon as it cast it's warm glow on the whole of Berk. My heartbeat thrummed in my chest as my mother and aunt helped me get ready. I bathed in warm water infused with rose petals and lavender oil, calming the senses and relaxing my muscles for the day, preparing myself for the night of merriment soon to follow. When I had scrubbed the dirt from my skin and hair, I stepped out of the tub and rubbed more of the oil on my flesh to soften it and leave behind the floral scents on my skin.

My hair did not take long to dry, with the summer heat doing the job for me despite the fact that I was still inside my hut. I changed into a dress made of a lightweight white linen that flowed down my legs in a fluid motion. It was sleeveless, forming a upside down shape of a triangle, revealing a bit of cleavage. The straps were only a few inches wide, and bound by a roped golden thread on each side to cinch in the middle sections near the bodice. Around the waist and under the bust, the same yellow thread created a diamond shaped pattern that encircled my body, giving the simplistic gown an elegant flare. I wore a pair of bleached white shoes, completely flat with a gold ribbon wrapping around each of my legs to keep them in place. Gothi braided small sections of my hair, while my mother came up behind her and wrapped those pieces around straight strands, creating a interspersed design within the dark colored locks. A simple golden hairband was placed on my hair next, little pearls and metal placed in a way that formed a small flower in the center of my forehead, signifying my connection with nature. For the final touch, I made sure my Monstrous Nightmare necklace was around my neck and my abalone bracelet dangled from my wrist, that way the gifts Snotlout had given me were on full display for all to see.

Swallowing thickly, I gazed at myself in the mirror my mother was holding up for me to see my reflection. "Are you ready, my daughter? This day marks the beginning of the rest of your life." She grinned from ear to ear, one of her hands on her heart. Breathing in deeply, I took a moment to collect myself. I looked more beautiful than I ever had before, and I felt ready for the coming event. I was prepared to start my life with Snotlout, our life, together. This was it. And the gods were in our favor. Snotlout and I had intentionally chosen to wed the day of the summer solstice, as it symbolized new life, rebirth, and the unity of our worlds and those around us. A connection between the physical and spiritual. Don't get me wrong, I was nervous. After all, you don't get married to the love of your life every day, but my mother was right. This day was only the beginning of our story. Nodding to her and my aunt, I cleared my head, speaking only two words. "I am."

Gothi drew some runes on a small patch of sand, giving me advice about my wedding night best left undiscussed. My face turned a dark shade of crimson, noting the terminology she was using, and the swear words she wrote as threats toward him. "Aunt Gothi! I can't say that to him!" I scolded her. She rolled her eyes and left to go begin the ceremony, while my mother handed me a bouquet of pale orange tiger lilies and bright blue forget me nots, the small sprigs peeking out from within the mass of flaming petals. "For beauty, passion, loyalty, and true love." She whispered, handing the bundle to me. I saw her tears already starting, and leaned forward to hug her. "Thanks, Mom. I love you..." I whispered, feeling her hold me tightly against her body. "I love you too. I'm so proud of you..." I felt water hit my shoulder, but my mother pulled away, wiping the wet streaks off her face. "Now...let's get ya married, shall we?" She asked, holding out her arm. I smiled, taking it with my left hand, and together we exited the hut.

Outside, people had already mounted their dragons, heading up to the location of the wedding. Since Snotlout and I had first started to become friends at Freya's Garden, it was only fitting that that was where we were meant to say our vows. Nightwing was waiting impatiently, her body shimmering with streaks of gold and white paint that had already dried hours prior. Climbing into her saddle, I adjusted my dress so that it didn't tear on anything. "Ready, girl?" I asked, stroking her snout. The aqua dragon snorted, stretching out her wings. At her side, Seastrike and Suntooth copied their mother's motions, readying themselves to take to the air. As if some sort of signal from the gods, the wind picked up, the rapid breeze causing my hair to fly behind my shoulders and the fabric at my feet to flutter. Exchanging a glance with my mother who sat elegantly on Emberclaw's back, I whistled for Nightwing to take off.