Secret Books

Even outside the grimy apartment window, Marseilles appeared to be dipped in various extravagant hues of lilac and orange and cobalt. And because of that, Lina refused to allow her sight to become blurred with tears. Instead, she stood tall, facing her mother, with her hands planted firmly on her hips.

"He did nothing wrong, Mama. I did nothing wrong," she signed. She faintly heard Liliane stir in their bedroom, the rustle of the blanket suddenly sending a new wave of drowsiness over Lina. Mama had wasted no time dragging her back home, fury foaming at her lips.

"You can't even admit it! I knew I should've raised you better," she growled, pacing back and forth.

"Admit what? That this is actually the most decent thing anyone in this family has done in a long time? Mama, I got a job. I made money. Money that can keep this family together," she signed. The image of Papa flitted into her mind, but she quickly shoved him out. He was the only one who'd done anything right, until he left. Then he'd hurt her more than Mama ever could.

"That's not for you to worry about, now is it? And the fact that you didn't even bother to tell me..." At this she shook her head, inching closer and closer to Lina. Her shadow seemed to grow taller and darker with each instant, devouring Lina. "First Liliane, and now you. Haven't you learned anything from your sister? Haven't I taught you anything about traipsing around the city with strange boys?" Her voice grew more thunderous with every word.

"Haven't you learned anything about actually keeping the ones you love, and not losing everyone who dares to call you family?" Lina signed. The words snarled in her hands.

And then came the slap.

At first, it merely stung her cheek like being immersed in ice cold water. But then came the fists, and worst of all: the words. They beat Lina harder than those schoolboys ever could have, because the schoolboys never cared for her at all, and she never cared for them. And as the blood trickled down her lips and the pain exploded throughout her entire being, Lina realized that although she did care about her mother, perhaps her mother never cared for her at all.

When Mama finally backed away, her iron face somehow bent as if it were melting, Lina straightened her posture, staring defiantly into the glossy, emerald eyes of her mother. She wiped a streak of blood from her chin, but not before tasting it on her lips.

"Not that you care, but here's what I made. It's not much, but I think after working for a while it will be enough to keep Liliane here." Lina violently flung her hands in the air, biting her lip to keep all the emotions she felt from exploding.

Mama studied the ground for a while, silence engulfing the air. Finally, a chuckle escaped her mouth, one with underlying notes of melancholy and bitterness. "How sweet and naive you are, Lina. Your father has taught you well."

"What do you mean?"

"It's not about money. Well, not all of it. Your father wants 'what's rightfully his.' In fact, he wants you both to come live in America with him. The Connard claims I am not stable enough to care for two children, nor, apparently, am I capable of providing for them. Well, I am not giving up both my daughters, so naturally I am refusing to let you go. This is the only fair way, after all."

Lina staggered a couple steps backward, her hand flying to her aching jaw. She transformed from a thunderous wave to a volatile whirlpool, all her emotions swirling up and sucking her down with them. She shook her head, refusing to allow her mother's words to soak in. Sweet. Naive. Lina swallowed the tears down. How could she be naive, after all she'd seen?

Was it so stupid to think that she could keep her own family from falling even further apart?

"It's not the fair way, and it's not going to be like that. Papa will hire a lawyer. France or America or whatever will decide, and they'll decide in his favor. No judge in his right mind would allow you to keep your children. No human being of decency would!" she signed.