Chapter 20

The morning came I was sitting watching the sunrise when I heard quick hushed whispers behind me. I grabbed the bow at my side and the arrow sitting next it notched it quickly and let it fly. I heard a squeal come from the area I aimed at. Antoinette came running out form the trees with a frenzied look, Lord Rothstan followed her. She looked at me with wild terrified eyes.

"Why in the world would you do that?"

"I didn't know who you were. What are you doing whispering in the shadows so early in the morning?"

"You almost killed me! If I was only a little bit closer it would have killed me, it brushed my hair." she wailed.

"Yes, but how was I to know it was you?"

"Well you should be more careful."

"That is exactly what I was doing!" She was crazy if she was looking for an apology. "What were you doing out there?"

"We were talking." She crossed her arms. I looked to Lord Rothstan who stood off to the side a little confused.

"Do you have anything to say?" I raised my eyebrow at him.

"We were only speaking, my lady."

"I care not for your rendezvous. What I care about is why you were so far out here watching me through the woods."

"Don't ask me," Antoinette threw her hands up "I found him sneaking into the trees so I followed him."

"My lady, you are tired. You aren't thinking clearly ."

"I feel fine." The funny thing was, even as I said it I knew I didn't feel fine. My body felt heavy, it had for days now. I felt as if the earth was wanting to keep my feet from being able to lift and move again. My head felt full like it used to after a full day of lessons heavy and about ready to roll off my neck from the weight. There was a sharp pain right between my eyes that was relentless. It seemed the only moments of solace I could get where my body wasn't constantly reminding me that it wasn't feeling perfect was in the mornings just before the sun came up. There was something so powerfully promising about a sunrise. No matter what was going wrong God always brought a new day ready to fix the problems of the previous day. 

"Princess, you may feel fine but you certainly aren't performing like it, and you definitely do not look as if you do."

"Then do not look at me then." I stuck my chin out.

"Come now, princess, you are being irrational." I rolled my eyes. "You need rest before you meet Maleficent. You will not defeat her otherwise." He was right, of course he was right. He was always right.

"He is right, you know." Antoinette added.

"Thanks" I answered snidely. No matter how sensible or right they sounded I was not going to sleep. Besides, it was too late for that now. We needed to start moving. Just then I heard hurried steps as someone came running our way. I gripped my bow tightly and swing my arm to grab an arrow from my back. Marian broke through the trees flushed from her hurry.

"They are moving."

"Im afraid there is no time then, off we go." Antoinette uncrossed her arms and started making her way back to the camp and the horses. Marian joined her. I began to leave too until Lord Rothstan took hold of my arm to stop me.

"You should sleep. Find some time before then and now. It would help, believe me." I scowled at him and shook my arm from out of his grasp. I nodded to him and began to walk away when he shouted to me. "I know you fear the shadows in your sleep." I stopped dead in my tracks and my eyes widened. I turned slowly to face him again.