The Wedding

My father listened raptly to our tale of what happened to Maleficent. My mother sat next to him with the most horrified look I had ever seen cross her face. I swear her jaw was dropped the entire time we spoke. Godmothers Fiona and Flora matched my mothers look with their fists clutched to their chests. Godmother Mary stood next to them with her arms across her chest with a great big grin on her face. She couldn't hide her pride in me.

When we arrived all of my godmothers rushed me Flora fussed over my hair, which was standing out everywhere. Flora started to eye all of the repairs on my clothing that she undoubtedly would have to make. Mary insisted on finding out what happened and admonishingly told me that it was irresponsible for me to have gone after Maleficent without letting any of them know. They all gave me a good swat on the arm for that one. Flora even gave me a quick lecture complete with a finger in my face. I knew she didn't mean much by it, she was more worried for me more than anything else and I deserved it. I did give them the scare of their lives with my disappearing act.

It turned out that my father already had preparations to go after me. Had we not come back so soon he would have pursued. Although part of me kept saying that if he did care at all, he would have come after me sooner. Godmother Mary said not to fault him, that it was all he could to not go after me. If he were to have shown up in Maleficent's side of the world with an army behind him the kingdom would have heard several war cries from other kingdoms. When I reminded her that he was already planning on going to war with Maleficent, she said it would have taken months for my father to train the other soldiers and during such time they were discussing treaties. Flora chided me for acting like a petulant child and Fiona tried to make me see understanding and reminded me that I was home now safe and sound.

Phillip insisted to my father that they begin the marriage ceremonies immediately. My father was none too pleased, but Phillip said that with us finally married and our kingdom's officially united it only strengthened the kingdom's future. He couldn't see any argument in Phillip's ________. It also helped that my godmother's assured my parents that after the losses from the most recent battle with Maleficent it would be nice to hold a celebration, one that the whole kingdom could celebrate in.

They cried the whole time it took to dress me. Fiona had to excuse herself a few times then come back to finish. Even Mary cried, I don't think I had ever seen her cry that much in my whole life. After they reverently placed the small tiara on my head they stood back to admire their work. Fiona's lower lip began to tremble again and Mary's eyes began to water, Flora wiped her eyes.

"You look so beautiful," Fiona sobbed.

"Where did the time go?" Mary wiped her eyes.

"It seems like only yesterday we took you home with us, just a small babe. You were so beautiful even then. Our baby has grown up girls." Flora added. 

"Oh, you guys are going to make me cry."

"You're right, we need to stop all of this. We can't have you step out there all red and blotchy. Stand up straight dear. You are a princess, now show it." Flora tugged on my shoulders and I pulled them back to stand straighter. "There is my girl."

"Are you ready?" Fiona asked while wiping her eyes with a cloth.

"As much as I'll ever be." I answered.

"Do we need to tell you about what happens on the wedding night." Flora eyed me worriedly.

"No." I almost shouted. "No, I pretty much know."

"How?" She looked as if someone just stole her thunder.

"Well. . ." I began.

"Oh, just tell them" Mary interjected. "I told her. You were taking so long and she needed to know. Besides, she kept asking me." Flora's hands moved to her waist and she was beginning to get that look in her eyes.

"Why?" Flora said through clenched teeth. Fiona stood still staring at Mary horrified.

"It isn't that big of a deal, she was going to find out eventually. We all knew this was going to end up in a marriage. I just thought it would be best if she knew all that was going to happen."

"Please don't fight now." I interceded.

"She is right girls. Flora, you knew she was going to need the talk sooner or later. Mary shouldn't have done it so quickly but what's done is done." Fiona added. "We should head down. It's just about time to march our girl down the isle."

We all turned to the door and headed toward my future. A life with Phillip, our kingdoms united, and eventually king and queen. What was life going to be like now? Life was going to be different from what I was used to. Well, nothin was the same as it was. But now I was no longer going to belong to just myself. I was going to have to allow another to know my thoughts, and fears, everything, forever. Was I ready?

The doors opened to the chapel and I looked up. There he was next to the priest, he was beaming at me. He was jumping on his toes impatiently as if he wanted to run across the chapel and snatch me from my godmothers' hands. Something quieted in my mind and I smiled. I was ready. I was more than ready.