Four | Speculation

"Another mysterious vigilante in Gotham?" Alfred's voice was less than confused, more skeptical than anything. He'd ceased his dusting to look up with an upraised brow.

"Speculation, Alfred," Bruce replied, leaned over his console as he looked at the separated files of the three mobsters. "All three of these men turned themselves in tonight. Gordon says they were distressed."

"Distressed, meaning what sir?" The butler continued his earlier activities, removing the dust from unattended gadgets.

The uncowled caped crusader shook his head.  "I'm not sure." He said slowly. "But I trust Gordon's judgment."

"Hm." Was how the old man casually reacted. "Perhaps—that is if this mysterious woman does exist—perhaps she's here to help." He was almost joking, considering how much he anticipated the side eye he was given for the comment. "But then again Master Bruce, maybe not."

Bruce's eyes were back on the screen concentratedly. They were all Falcone's top dogs, yes. The list of people who hated them was around the block, it was so long.

Theoretically, it could've been anyone.

"I trust that you at least tried to have an enjoyable night at Ms. Vreeland's event." Alfred quipped and he grunted, relaying the memory of the party.

He danced with Elizabeth Jefferson.

"Elizabeth is back." He said, turning his head.

"You'll have to be more specific, Master Bruce." He said with a small grin. "You've had quite a few Elizabeth's in your lifetime." He glanced at Bruce. "Some even at the same time."

He was annoyed, choosing to ignore the distasteful comment. He gave yet another side eye before clicking a separate, personal file to look for something he hadn't seen in quite a long time. After digging through personal records and certificates, he finally found what he was looking for and expanded it.

Alfred, who looked up for only a moment, did a double take when he noticed what was on the screen.

He recognized the adorable way her lips pulled back into a smile as she was laughing. She was looking up at a then much younger Bruce, who was wearing a tuxedo, complete with her homecoming tiara. He wore a serious face, but it was worn so goofily that it made her laugh. Across her chest, she wore a sash that said homecoming princess. Her dark hair was mid-neck length, but she had it pushed back behind her ear, easily.

Bruce shook his head very slightly. He was in his memories.

He remembered how beautiful she looked that night, especially in that white floral patterned backless maxi dress. She didn't expect to win—she didn't even have any idea she was nominated. She was placed on a secret ballot.

Elizabeth was a self-conscious young woman. She didn't quite care what she looked like as long as she got her work done. But she was so shy. When they called her name out, he could remember the nervous little smile on her face.

"Elizabeth is back." There was no need to explain to the butler what this meant. Instead, he hastily pulled up another picture from the Internet that he'd found. He placed it beside the duller photo. She was at a formal event, wearing a black maxi complete with red lipstick and a polite grin for the cameras. Her hair, which was much longer, was straightened and pulled behind her ears.

"She still does that thing with her hair." He muttered, thoughtfully. Eleven years and she hadn't changed a bit, besides some growth in some places and even more confidence.

This was the woman he was in love with all those years ago.

"She..." was all Alfred could say as he stepped closer to the console to take in what he couldn't believe.

Long ago, he used to believe in a miracle named Elizabeth J. Jefferson. She was the only thing that could ever get Bruce out of a stupor. The only thing that could get him to smile again after periods of dark times. She was sweet, intelligent, caring and empathetic.

She, to some extent, knew what Bruce felt.

He was most upset to find that the miracle didn't last forever when the two had split their senior year.

Bruce had fallen again.

"My faith has been restored, Master Bruce." He had a weak giddy smile upon his face that made the young man look at him with question before looking back at the picture. "She's taking over Jefferson Inc."

The butler's brows raised with surprise and he looked over at Bruce. "What?" He was disbelieving.

He nodded shortly. "Apparently Joseph thrust it upon her. He wouldn't allow it to go public."

"But...what happened?" Alfred inquired, bewildered.

Without another word, his fingers were flying across the keyboard in search of a specific headline that's caught his eye the week before. He pulled it up.

"My word..."

CEO of Jefferson Incorporated Gweneth Jefferson Dead at 49, Accidental Insulin Overdose.

"Funny how there was no foul play suspected." Bruce looked at Alfred with that raised of dark suspicion. "A diabetic of nineteen years should know how much insulin to use, don't you think?"

He thought about it for a moment before nodding with consideration. "Yes, but..." he looked up at the computer screen. "You don't suspect that..."

"It's Joseph Jefferson, Alfred." Bruce shook his head, looking up as well. "That man is capable of anything."

"But why would he..."

He shook his head again. "I'm not sure. I'm not sure if something's going on here or not but it's safe to be cautious about all this." He folded his arms. "It could be a sensitive case." He turned away from the console to walk away. Alfred turned to face him.

"But what does this mean for Miss Elizabeth?"

Bruce paused and took a breath. "We'll just have to wait and see what happens."

"Mm." Alfred didn't like the sound of that. It sounded like she was being pulled into something that could've been a misunderstanding. He was sure Elizabeth was innocent in all of this if there even was a case. She had to be.

Bruce stood still for a few more moments before sighing. "She was the same, Alfred." He looked slightly over his shoulder. "The same laugh, the same smile, the same memories." He looked down. "She's the same as she's always been."

One last time the old man looked up at the screen at that dazzling genuine smile she had.

If there was one thing Alfred Pennyworth knew, it was that people never stayed the same.