Eleven | Shadow

It'd been a day since he'd really seen her, and he could already tell she was in a minor state of panic. She was quiet during the entire meeting, in her thoughts, looking away as the gentlemen on the board were speaking. Something was troubling her harshly, and he had the mind to assume that it was related to the visit his alter ego paid her the night before.

"Elizabeth..." The light tapping of her forefinger suddenly stopped and she looked up slightly.

"A penny for your thoughts?" He had to sound curious, though concern he had no problem feigning. She seemed to be going through something internal, and even though it could have been something he was to investigate, he was still a hair worried about her.

She was silent for another moment, looking up hesitantly. She was contemplating whether or not she should tell him what had been troubling her.

She looked back down and let out a breath before looking back in his direction. "This city is so full of surprises..." It was an attempt at dry humor, though it did not help her predicament. Her weak smile fell nearly immediately and she took another stressful breath. "It seems that Gotham's mythical creature isn't so mythical at all."

He needed to seem surprised, his concern growing as he took a seat beside her.

"I was approached last night." Her voice was a bit shaky. "He was asking about something, a shadow of some variation." She looked over at him. "I've only been here for a moment, and I'm already a suspect in some crime."

"Did he hurt you?" He creased his brows, seeming to hope that he hadn't.

"No." She shook her head. "I didn't expect him to, I don't think, I just..." she paused for a moment. "It's about my father... This mess I've walked into, it always seems to revolve around him." She looked up. "He's the sick that everyone's been getting, isn't he?"

Bruce didn't answer her. He only looked at her despondently.

He could tell that she had a genuine sadness about her father.

Elizabeth's involvement in the situation seemed to revolve around her simply being tracked by her father and the mob. Her rejection was causing a stir in the underworld, and despite her lack of care, she was going to get hurt sooner or later.

He wanted to believe that was all she really was, but his gut was telling him that something wasn't right.

And his gut was seldom wrong.

"Master Bruce, are you sure this is a good idea?" Alfred's concern was largely appreciated, but it was getting relentless and annoying.

"There's no other simple way to test the theory, Alfred." He responded, looking down at the two red blips on the radar. Ben Wyrick had been strategically lured towards the bay docks while Austin Dole was near the East Side. One was near Falcone, the other, near Elizabeth. They'd been bugged earlier in the day, for the purpose of being two decoys just for this night specifically. He'd already had eyes on her; she was at home, doing work in her office.

The batwing was hovering above the midpoint as he waited patiently for a reaction in the two little red dots.

"May I ask if you planted Mr. Wyrick where he is because—" Alfred was cut off by Bruce's clarification. "She's currently the most viable suspect. Wyrick is currently on the Jefferson beat. If he's attacked near Elizabeth's home, then we immediately check her position."

"And if Mr. Dole is apprehended?"

Bruce could sense the skepticism in Alfred's voice, and it was not endearing.

"We check anyway."

There was a generous chime, followed by relentless beeping and he directed his attention to the panel; one of them was moving, and he was moving rather fast.