Chapter Five

January 29th 9:31 a.m.

Niall's old apartment

Mullingar, Ireland

~Elle~

I woke up with a yawn, not knowing why I even woke. At least I didn't have a nightmare. I looked over at Niall and my heart skipped a beat. His eyes were closed and his mouth was parted open to reveal straight teeth. I remember when they were crooked. I remember when he got the braces that fixed them.

~Flashback~

We stood in the orthodontist's office. Maura, Niall, and I, obviously since Niall and I couldn't drive yet. Maura got up, tired of waiting for a past hour, and excused herself to step out.

Niall suddenly dropped his fake smile and turned to me, nervous and horror-struck. "Elle, I don't want braces!" "It'll be okay, Niall. It's a bit of wiring," I soothed him, putting my hand on his shoulder. "A bit of wiring?!" He scoffed, rolling his brilliant blue eyes. I smiled softly and took his hand.

"Niall?" "Yes?" "Smile," I beg. Niall breaks into a grin. He can't help it. I, personally, love Niall's crooked teeth. It's super adorable. "I love you," he says, kissing my nose.

At this time, it was just a friendly gesture in my eyes. We were like siblings. "Hey, I love you. It'll be-" "Niall Horan," a squat lady called out. Maura was still outside... "You come with me," Niall begged. I nodded and followed back.

Two hours later, Niall and I sat in a booth at Nando's. He watched longingly as a waitress walked by with a tray of fries and a burger. "I want food," he whined, sipping his banana cream shake. "I'm not even eating, Nialler. We ate before we left." Niall finished his drink before returning bloody cotton to his mouth. I crinkled my nose in disgust.

"You know, I'm glad that was you and not Mum holding my hand. She might've killed me when I squeezed her hand." "Well, you were in pain," I started, sipping my own cream shake. "And besides... You're my best friend. I'm always going to be here when you need it." Niall smiled, revealing bits of cotton, clear braces, and crooked teeth.

~Flashback Over~

I slowly brushed my finger to his cheek. He gave a light snore and I immediately pulled my hand away from his flawless face. I got up from his light grip and padded to his bathroom. The old apartment was familiar in many ways. I stayed here a bit, but he was mainly at my house.

I decided to take a shower and go down to eat because Niall was sleeping still. I made a light breakfast of blueberry pastries and saved Niall about four. He came down just as I finished, shirtless and tired-looking. His sweatpants hung loosely from his bare hips, hinting he had on no boxers. His V-line was more defined now than before and he had abs. All in all, he was attractive as ever.

"We're going out," he informed me, smiling as I handed him his plate. "Correction. You're going out," I said promptly, nibbling on my pastry. "No. We are going out. Both of us. Together. I want to go skating like we used to." I thought about it. On one hand, I didn't want to go skating, never the less leave my house. But, on the other hand, I knew deep down I needed a getaway. And if I upset Niall, he may not stay with me anymore. Besides, he may hold my hand, which, no matter how wrong it is, will be the best part of this experience.

"Hm. Fine. I'll go, but I didn't bring good skating clothes. So we'll have to stop by my house." He agreed and finished his pastries. As I walked out the kitchen to grab my bags, I heard him mutter, "It's a date."