Chapter 16: Soccer game

"JESSICA NICOLE MORTON! Get your lazy ass out of bed!" I heard an irate voice yelling at me. Am I in hell?

Oh hold on.

It was a typical Tuesday afternoon and I was in bed. I was too tired to do anything. But no, I just had to have a hyperactive puffball for a best friend.

"I'm tired. What do you want?" It came out more as a whine rather than a question. Whatever, I was tired!

"You know what I want, missy! Now get out of bed or else!" She threatened, long, manicured nails already poised to kill.

"Nooooooooooooo. Too tired." I whined again.

"Don't tell me I didn't warn you!" OOMPH. There goes my tailbone.

"That hurt, Soph!"

I curled on the floor anyway, trying to forget about Adam's soccer game. Soph wanted me to go with her, and because I had a boring life and am friendless, I agreed.

"No, I will sleep!"

"Please! It's the least you can do after I gave you a ride home!" She begged with her puppy dog eyes.

I crossed my arms over my chest (which was a funny sight cause I was on the floor, laying down), "No, I won't give in. I won't give in. I won't give in." The more she used her puppy dog eyes on me, the more it freaked me out.

"...Fine." I finally gave in, again.
Sophie jumped happily around my room. Hyperactive puffball, I tell you.

"Yay! We're having smoothies after!"

"Just us, right?"

"Plus the soccer team." She sounded too happy for this.

"What? Forget what I said; I'm not going!"

I'm sure I would be out of place if I went. I'm probably going to embarrass myself in front of the soccer team. Nope, I'm not risking that!

"You already agreed to go and there's no taking it back! So get changing! Anyways, I won't leave you." She smiled.

I pulled another face at her.

"But I'll just embarrass myself."

"No buts! I'm going to be there, so just get changing."

Defeated, I went to my closet and pick up a shirt and jeans.

"Why won't you wear the new clothes we bought?" She asked when she noticed my punk-nun choice of clothing.

"You said not to wear them until the talent show." I answered her.
"Oh, right!" She exclaimed.

"Jess, remind me to burn your old clothes when you finally use the new ones!" She said playfully.

I wasn't offended at all. I knew my clothes were Donatella Versace's worst nightmare. They were baggy and dull and they apparently hid whatever curves Sophie thinks I have.
"You make me sound like a fashion disgrace," I put my hand on my heart and the other on my head. "Woe is me!"

"Maybe you do." She paused thoughtfully, waiting for any reaction, whatsoever. "Kidding!"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Three more days till I say hastala vista to those ugly clothes!" I replied enthusiastically.

"And your glasses too!"

That one still stung. My baby!

***
We still had twenty minutes to spare when we arrived. Soph is such an early bird when it comes to her boyfriend's games. I felt her yank me to the bleachers to look for the perfect place to sit at (aka perfect place to observe Adam).