Chapter 17: Expect the unexpected

There's just two more days until the talent show. I have been doing a lot of practices with Soph. Besides practicing the singing, Soph has continued torturing - I mean, training - me on upping my self-confidence.

Hell, it isn't easy at all. I'd find a geometry question easier and I'm not even kidding. But I'm getting the hang of it.

After all, I got to talk to someone I like without stuttering last night.

Yes, I confess. I like Alex. And contrary to judgemental belief, I like him for his personality. The looks are a bonus.

"Jess!" I hear Soph exclaim while waving her hands in front of me.

"Yeah?" I ask her. It's currently lunch time and no, that quesadilla still does not look appealing to me.

"Quit spacing out! And you, young lady have a lot of explaining to do!" She fiercely tells me in a mother-like tone. Shit! I guess she's still mad at me about Alex. I mean I actually haven't told her

about how we met yet.

"And that Sophie, is how I met my lover." Gahahaha as if.

"Sorry about that." I squeak at her, defenseless. "Forgiven. Just tell me how you met him!" She gushes excitedly.

"Okay, okay." I blush just at the thought of him. Seriously though, is this going to be an episode of How I Met Your Mother?

"Go ahead. Tell me!" She emits a highly enthralled squeak. Because yes, she's that excited to hear a fairy tale from yours truly. Just when I'm about to gush to her about the very unfortunate beginning, Soph hesitates. "Jess, I need to tell you something."

He's taken? Ugh! Why didn't I think about that? Well, he is handsome and hot of course he's taken. Why wouldn't he be taken? What was I thinking?!

Oh I know. I thought I was going to be the next Robin Scherbatsky.

A sigh escapes my lips. Awesome. Just. Perfect.

"No, he's not." I hear Sophie interrupt my moping.

"Who's not what?"

"You asked if Ian's taken. He's not." She smiles. That wasn't supposed to be out of my mouth.

"You do like him!" She grins a Cheshire grin, happy with her new discovery. "No, I don't." I'm so convincing, you should ignore the red on my face. That's just some minor details you can overlook.

"You so like him!"

"But there's something to you need to know about him." Soph reverts to her hesitant, quiet mood.

Oh my god! He can't be gay or something! If that's true then that would be so weird in so many levels. Wait, if it's true, that's probably why he was nice to me...?

"He's your enemy's brother." Enemy? What enemy?

Then it hit me. Zach's brother.

I didn't even know I was holding my breath until I burst out laughing.

Soph raises her brow in her confusion. Adorable. "And here I was, thinking he could be gay! I already know that. That's how I met him." I say in between fits of laughter.

"You think he's gay?!" She exclaims in an incredulous, what-the-f-bomb tone. "Look at him! He's hot and you think he's gay?!" To be fair, hot guys do tend to be gay. Hello, Matt Bomer. I still love you.

"Sorry, can't help it. You were serious and all." I still say, laughing. Soph surrenders and laughs with me. "Okay, okay, now tell me!" The excitement in her tone is never gone.