13. Ain't No Party Like a Penthouse Party

"Stop fussing with it, you look great," Nisa said to Kayla who was looking in the mirror, running her fingers through the wand curls that Nisa had just put in. Nisa was applying a coat of siren red lipstick beside her. Nisa was wearing a tightly fitting long-sleeved royal blue romper with tall wedges. Kayla was wearing black jeans, a black cropped tube top and black booties.

"You want?" Nisa asked, holding out the tube of lipstick. Kayla usually didn't wear brightly colored lips or brightly colored anything but she sighed and gave in, feeling extremely underdressed next to Nisa who had decided to go all out.

"Damn, we look good," Nisa grinned, looking at Kayla and herself in the mirror. "It should be a crime to look this good." Kayla had to agree, they did look good tonight. In fact, it was true that whenever she was out with Nisa, the two of them always turned every head in the room.

"We should go, the boys are going to be mad. We're already running late," Kayla said, picking up her purse.

It 8:32 pm on Friday - Matt and Ryan had told them to be ready to go by 8. Nisa and Kayla headed down the elevator to the lobby where Matt and Ryan were sitting on one of the sofas, chatting.

"30 minutes later," Matt huffed.

"Hey, you should've known we'd be on CPT," Nisa giggled, shrugging her shoulders. Matt rolled his eyes. The four got in an uber and made their way downtown.

Imari lived on the top floor of a twenty-story building. His penthouse was huge and there were already about a hundred or so guests when Ryan, Nisa, Kayla and Matt arrived. Imari spotted Ryan as the four stepped out of the elevator and came over to greet Ryan with a hug.

"Welcome, Ryan and friends, to my home," Imari said, facing the four. "Please, have some food and drinks and enjoy the party."

Then he turned to Ryan, "And you, DJ booth is this way." As Imari led Ryan to the booth - it was a legitimate booth - Ryan turned around to give the three a wary look. Kayla mouthed Good luck, and Matt gave him a thumbs up.

A cater waiter approached the three where they stood by the elevator.

"Mini potato gratin?" he held up the tray of mini bites in one hand and a tray carrying flutes of strawberry champagne in the other. Kayla reached for the food, stomach growling, realizing she hadn't eaten dinner.

"Here's to rich people who have money to blow on shit like this," Matt said, holding up his flute. The three clinked glasses. 

They made their way through the crowd to stand in front of the DJ booth. Ryan was remixing a Calvin Harris song.

"He's pretty good," Kayla shouted over the sound of the music.

"Yeah he is," Nisa smiled and waved to him. Ryan pointed back at her, nodding his head to the beat of the music.

"Do you guys know anyone here?" Kayla said, looking around.

"No, but I want to get to know her," he said. He lifted his chin in the direction of a tall, beautiful blonde wearing a baby pink slip dress and fur-strap stilettos. She was surrounded by a group of people, her head thrown back in laughter.

"I thought you liked black girls," Nisa said, eyeing the blonde.

"Why do you say that?" Matt said, keeping his eyes fixed on the girl.

"Because Kayla is black duh," she rolled her eyes.

"She's black?" He asked sarcastically, finally looking away from the girl to smile at Kayla.

"Shut up," Nisa said punching his arm.

Matt chuckled. "I like women of every color, I don't discriminate. Ladies, if you'll excuse," he said setting down his champagne flute and making his way over to the girl in pink.