Chapter 23

Katniss' POV
"Mommy!" Willow screams as she runs up and hugs me. "How was school little duck?" I say as I kiss her head. "It was just perfect mommy! Could one of my new friends come over?" Willow asks as she gives me puppy dog eyes. "I don't care sweetheart." I say as we make our way home. "He's new." She states. "He moved here all the way from district two." Willow says. "Wow that's a far travel." I say. "What's is name?" I ask. "Rider." Willow smiles. "What's that smile about little duck." I smirk. "Nothing mommy." Willow rolls her eyes.
•••
I was just about to start making dinner when I hear our doorbell ring. "Yay it's Rider!" Willow squeals as she runs to the door. I walk to her and slowly open the door. I had a huge smile on my face until I realized who was Rider's father. It was Gale.
•••
"Hi Rider!" Willow smiles as she hugs him. I had no words. I was complete memorized. "Hey Catnip." Gale smiles. "H..hi Gale." I stutter. "I just came by to introduce myself to Rider's new friend and her parents but who knew it was you." He smiles. "Yeah." I shyly say. "Well Rider couldn't hangout with Willow today because of the late notice I just wanted to make sure you guys would know." Gale states. "Oh well thanks for letting us know. They'll definitely have to hangout another time." I say as I fake a smile. "Yeah they will. Well good bye Katniss have a good night." Gale says as him and Rider walk away. I didn't even say good night I just pulled Willow back into the house and closed the door as quickly as I could. "Mommy you know Rider's dad?" Willow asks. "Um yes sweetheart we use to be friends." I say. "Maybe you could be friends again!" Willow insists with a smile. "Maybe." I say as I bit my lip. "Come on we're going to uncle Haymitch's. You're spending the night." I smile and I grab her bag. "Yay!" Willow screams as she runs out the door to Haymitch's.
•••
I felt bad about running to the bakery when Peeta was working overtime but with my emotions all over the place I just needed to see him, hug him, or even kiss him. I open the door and the bell rings. "Mellark bakery." Peeta says as he comes up to the front. Right when he looked at me he knew something was wrong. He walks over towards me and that's when I started to have a breakdown. "Shh Katniss." Peeta says as he moves me to his office. "Katniss what happened? What's wrong?" Peeta asks as he rubs my back. "H..he's back." I stutter. "Who's back?" Peeta asks. "Gale.. he's back in district 12 and has a son who's friends with Willow but I can't look at him Peeta he killed Prim." I cry. I could tell Peeta had no words. He didn't know what to say to me. "Come on Katniss." He whispers as he guides me out of his office. He yells to one of his employees to lock up because he had a family emergency. As Peeta and I get home he lays me down on our couch and strokes my hair. "Maybe you should try to be friends with him." Peeta insists as he pulls me into a hug. "Just try Katniss. He probably feels really bad about what he did to you. I don't think he ever wanted to kill Prim." Peeta says as he wipes my tear stained cheeks. "Peeta I don't thi.." I was cut off by Peeta's soft lips. "Just try for me." He whispers. "I'll try." I whisper back.
•••