[13]

A girl is wide awake

Caterina
___________

The sun had barely begun to rise over the hills whenever my eyes reluctantly pried themselves open in time to witness the room fill itself with an ominous grey light.

For a long while I just laid there, mindlessly tracing the cracks in the ceiling and listening to the steady rise and fall of Thomas's chest beside me. It took a while for my memory to recall the events of last night as I carefully shifted my weight onto my elbows to better see the half-naked Shelby man before me.

Much like Alfie, Thomas also appeared to be years younger while he slept; but judging by the dark circles beneath his eyes, wasn't very often.

A sigh escaped my lips at the thought, causing Thomas to shuffle slightly in his sleep. I half smiled.

Last night, I was so exhausted from yesterdays events that by the time we had arrived at his flat, I simply passed out in his arms. And being the gentleman that he was, Thomas only held me the entire night before sleep too, took him under. Now that I thought hard and clear about it, a big part of me was glad nothing happened between us. Actually sleeping with Thomas would only make things more complicated than they already were between Alfie and I; and I needed to sort that situation out first before anything. Even if it took every ounce of self control I had left against Thomas.

Not wanting to wake the sleeping beauty of a man, I gingerly slid off the foot of the bed with the covers still wrapped firmly around my torso. Despite everything, Thomas was still cheeky enough to undress me down to nothing but my undergarments; but to be fair, my dress wasn't exactly sleeping material. The sequence material would've only scratched the both of us as we slept, which made for a valid point. Still, my cheeks turned a deep red because of it.

I took advantage of the stillness of the room and took a few turns around it, skimming over the books that sat wide open on top his desk. They were mostly inventory, with only a few being actual works of literature that most likely were left neglected long enough to collect as much dust as they had. I ran a finger over the leather bindings and scrunched my nose as a result of the dust that accumulated on the pad of my finger, and wiped it along the bed sheets I wore.